Sponsored by:

Possible Convert?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:48 PM
msurles
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Convert?

Please be kind. I have driving BMWs (M3s) for years but for some reason I have an itch for a Porsche. It hit me all of a sudden. I have driven an 84' Targa and a 01' coupe. I enjoy working on my cars and it will be a daily driver. Any help on this decision would be great. I am really enjoying reading the posts on this forum. Porsche people seem to help each other with their problems vs. being a smart-*** as on some of the BMW forums. Should I make the switch?
Old 12-28-2009, 11:08 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hell no! We dont want no stinkin BMW guys mucking up our turf

By the way welcome to the fun
Old 12-28-2009, 11:38 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msurles
Please be kind. I have driving BMWs (M3s) for years but for some reason I have an itch for a Porsche. It hit me all of a sudden. I have driven an 84' Targa and a 01' coupe. I enjoy working on my cars and it will be a daily driver. Any help on this decision would be great. I am really enjoying reading the posts on this forum. Porsche people seem to help each other with their problems vs. being a smart-*** as on some of the BMW forums. Should I make the switch?
should you make the switch? perhaps asking wrong group.
.....last car was an 04 cobra (whipple sc...M killer from the get go or on the hills, 575rwHP, full chassis set-up)
.....2 prior BMW's, both underpowered/overpriced (BMW for me "never again")
.....most memorable late model Alfa GTA, outstanding

presently a 92 turbo look 964 cab, rock solid-no squeaks/leaks (oil or top), great fun....another 50hp would be perfect (but life is one of compromise).

want to pose? nil better than a porsche - and it still hammers.
to me kind of like a new lotus but with back seat and useable trunk....mountain road-like a go gart as road unravels right in front of you. as i said you are asking wrong forum

Old 12-28-2009, 11:42 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Welcome.

I strongly considered a M3 before buying Porsche. Basically I was looking for the best M3 or 911 I could get for the same value. My Porsche popped up for sale and I bought. No regret.

IMHO the 911 has a strong user community because it is a special car. People that drive a 911 are your friends because they know what you drive. The engine is in an odd place, air-cooled oddness, and as much as you modify it the car is still just a driver’s gokart. There is solidarity among owners because we all appreciate driving and the fact it does not have to be utilitarian.

Good luck
Old 12-29-2009, 12:50 AM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 1994 carrera 2 cabriolet and absolutely love the car. I have had it for 10 years and it was stock until this year. It is no longer stock but lowered with bilstein pss 10s, aggressively alligned, monoball spring plates, RS short shifter, primary muffler delete, cat delete, strut brace, drilled air box, and 225 wide tires up front. If you work on cars, you can likely do most of this work yourself. I loved the car stock, but this new set up is just an absolute joy. I keep looking at new models but they never impress me enough to actually make a purchase.

My wife's loaded BMW 330 convertible absolutely bores me. It is a great car, but I get no thrill driving it other than listening to its radio. As a result, I don't get excited over a M3. None the less, the M3 is a great car, just not for me.

The 993 is highly sought after and I love that model as well. I have been thinking about purchasing a 993 turbo, 996 turbo, or 996 GT3 to go along with my current car. The only problem is that you can only drive one at a time.

There are so many great 911 models to choose. I would encourage the shift and enjoy (ah, but I hear those M3s can make a great track car!)

Cons: My radio sucks, it slowly drains the battery for some reason, and the AC is fair at best.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:24 AM
kevjandon
Racer

Perhaps I can help. I've owned 5 porsches and a BMW M Coupe and some VW's over the few years I've been around.

IMO BMW offers an amazing package. It is a lot of car for the money but they are cheaply made, everyone seems to have one and they become boring to drive as they are too easy to drive. Anyone can get in and make it go fast. Porsches are becoming this way with the 996, cheaply made and anyone can make them go fast (from 1999 through 2004/05).

1998 and older are true drivers cars. To make them go fast you really need to understand the car. The older you go, the more understanding that is needed as you loose power steering, power brakes and the tires get smaller. Not everyone can drive these cars fast, it takes skill. Once you get it you will experience what it means to own a Porsche.

The other thing you NEED to know is you will miss the comforts of the BMW if you buy an air cooled car (older than 1998). The older you go the worse the AC gets as an example.

As for the people I found that BMW people are snobs and they treat you that way. Other people treat you that way too. An M badge carries no more weight than a 325i badge either.

Porsche World is different. There are niches. Air Cooled vs. Water Cooled 911's. 914's, 912E's, 924/944's, 356's and 928's. Most owners do not leave their niches. Owners know what they like and stick with it. I'm a young guy too. Bought my first 911 at 27. It is hard to fit in as a younger guy as most Porsche owners are in their 40's and up. You're still accepted though, espically if you know your stuff.

If you enjoy working on your cars, than a P-car is a good move. Unless you are tearing down the motor or replacing the clutch they are not that hard to work on. The routine maintenance is straight forward but do you research as differnt years require different maintenance. As an example, the 964 tread you posted in has dual distributors and 12 spark plugs so tune ups take twice as long and cost twice as much as any Porsche prior to 1989. A 1996 to 1998 (993)does not require valve adjustments.

Do your homework and you will be pleased. Coming from M3's (I'm going to guess E36's and E46's) you should look at 1990's and later cars if you intend to use it as a daily driver.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:53 AM
rcarpen22
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kevjandon
Porsche World is different. There are niches. Air Cooled vs. Water Cooled 911's. 914's, 912E's, 924/944's, 356's and 928's. Most owners do not leave their niches. Owners know what they like and stick with it.
I think this is probably true, but I am an exception. I like pretty much all Porsches and have a fairly diverse fleet. I think the most important thing to consider (and it's been said in this thread) is that an older 911 is not going to be a hassle-free daily driver like an M3 is. It's a trade-off though. M3s are great cars, but in my opinion, are not as rewarding or enjoyable as a 911. The 911s are pesky though. They leak oil (some more than others), require valve adjustments (all but 993), and the interior and controls are basically unchanged since about 1974 (964 and 993 are a little more modern). I would say go for it, but make sure you know what you're getting into. I would recommend a G50 Carrera, a later 964, or a '95 993. These are all pretty reliable and are relatively affordable. If you buy a 911, I doubt you'll regret it!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:26 AM
RichieRoo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome!

I agree with the comments above.

I was tempted by an M3. I've always been impressed by them, but the E36
was only LHD (I'm in the UK) and the E46 just sounds a bit highly-strung
(valve gear noise).

The main thing for me was the community that goes with the car. The guys
on here are very knowledgeable and always willing to help. As you pointed
out, there are practically no "smart-***" comments, which must be pretty
unique for a car forum. Even if the debates become 'heated' it's because
people are passionate rather than egotistical.

Hope to see you on here soon.

Rich

Quick Reply: Possible Convert?