Sponsored by:

Talk me off ledge

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:08 PM
92silver964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swftiii
If it isn't leaking, there probably isn't any oil in the car. I would be more concerned if there wasn't any oil on the floor. I've had a 911 of different vintage (993 and now 964) for the past 10 or so years and don't think I've ever been leak free. There is plenty of oil in these cars - 11-12 quarts, so just keep an eye on your oil levels and add oil when needed.

My recommendation - buy one of the black oil catching mats and that way you protect the garage floor and don't see each and every drop.

Welcome to the club and enjoy the experience - you will never turn back to anything else.

-Skip
I totally agree. If you want a leak free car, buy a Toyota. I'm certainly no expert, but I'm not sure how you can develop a high performance revving racing engine with the tighter clearances found in standard automobiles. (Experts, am I wrong?). Two different objectives. I got an oil mat that catches most of my drips. Personally, I enjoy the oil odor of the car when I drive it hard and then pull in the garage. Have to admit, I sit there and breathe it in. I love this car.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Your perpective is all wrong here. 911s do not leak, they mark their territory. Think of 911 as a new dog in the back yard. The first thing the dog does is marking its territory. That is what the 911 is doing in your garage while being very confused as to why there are no oil drops in the garage already.

GL, check the oil (read the manual), do not overfill, and do not worry about the leaks until it is 1 cup a day.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:28 AM
rswan55
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RacinToday
911Jetta:
As soon as salt washes off roads, my first trip will be to Lawrence! Thanks for the shoulder to cry upon. Our experiences are identical. Was out there adjusting the cardboard about 10 minutes ago.
Racin, where'd you get your car? I drove a black 91 C4 Cab for sale in KC a month or so ago. Nice car, nice seller - I just went a diff direction. Hit us with a pic when you can!

I'm going through the same thing right now with the oil leak. Got my new C4 home about 2.5 weeks ago. Been in the garage most of the time - too much snow here in Chicago! I also have small oil leak but the folks here calmed me. Have fun!!
Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 PM
BradS(IN)
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
Your perpective is all wrong here. 911s do not leak, they mark their territory. Think of 911 as a new dog in the back yard. The first thing the dog does is marking its territory. That is what the 911 is doing in your garage while being very confused as to why there are no oil drops in the garage already.

GL, check the oil (read the manual), do not overfill, and do not worry about the leaks until it is 1 cup a day.
That's the BEST remark I have heard!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:06 PM
mojo747
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Harleys are the same way. Not for everyone.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:57 PM
RacinToday
Instructor

Rswan: Got the car in Denver. It is a C2.
And Nader, you're beautiful!!!!
Old 12-24-2009, 04:36 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree on the oil sender - for a drivers side leak that far out twords the rear wheel - but without invetigating it.....

"If it isn't leaking, there probably isn't any oil in the car."

Funny i say that about my defender even after i replaced all the seals except for the rear main which wasn't leaking at the time but now is!

My engine dosen't leak but i only have 34k on my cup (which is possibly the highest mileage one out there)
Old 12-24-2009, 07:58 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

"Funny i say that about my defender even after i replaced all the seals except for the rear main which wasn't leaking at the time but now is!"
Oil like anything (i.e. electrons, water/oil, fluids in general, even people) else in the universe tend to take the path of least resistance to make it to ground whether its electrical or physical ground relating to gravity or pressure. There's a lot of oil and plumbing connections in these cars (i.e. 10X as many in a wet sump engine) with the oil cooler at the front also the fact that it's a hi compression all aluminum engine with high expansion ratios (i.e. evident by the sounds of a hot engine contracting as it cools) . The potential for oil leaks also increases. Address the oil leaks one at a time or all at once and these cars can become leak free for a while and if you're lucky a long while.

Bill

Quick Reply: Talk me off ledge