Sponsored by:

Time to Replace Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 02:47 PM
jaudette3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Time to Replace Carpet

The interior of the car is more important to me than the exterior. I guess it makes sense as that's where I spend most of my time with the car.

Anyway, it's time to replace the carpet in my C4. I've done a lot of searching here and the information I have found combined with experience I have had with earlier cars should enable me to blither my way through with the installation. But I have a few questions that I wasn't able to find answers to with the searches:

(1) I t seems that the RS kit from Appbiz.com is the popular choice. Is the best choice Perlon, Plush or Silverknit?

(2) What is the opinion of Dynamat? I have used it in 356's and long-hoods and have been very pleased with it.

(3) Everyone mentions that the factory glue is a bear. Someone mentioned that "Goof Off" works well - any opinion of that or other magic potions?

(4) I often wet the new carpet prior to installation in the older cars which makes it more pliable and easier to stetch. Has anyone done that with the Appbiz product?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
JohnA
Old 12-09-2009, 03:02 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

(1) I t seems that the RS kit from Appbiz.com is the popular choice. Is the best choice Perlon, Plush or Silverknit?

Perlon is very thin. Plush is similar to OEM carpet but a bit thinner. Silverknit is like OEM from what I understand. RS faithful use the thin Perlon, RS wannabe uses Plush, stickler for OEM uses Silverknit.

(2) What is the opinion of Dynamat? I have used it in 356's and long-hoods and have been very pleased with it.

There are other choices, but if you want to use Dynamat, get the Extreme. Don't get regular, it stinks like tar on a hot day.

(3) Everyone mentions that the factory glue is a bear. Someone mentioned that "Goof Off" works well - any opinion of that or other magic potions? .

It is a bear period. No way around it. Be prepared to curse and kill about 1M brain cell from the fumes. I tried Goof Off but in the end, I used WD-40. I think there was another member who used a steam to just lift the carpet off and have the sound padding left in place.

(4) I often wet the new carpet prior to installation in the older cars which makes it more pliable and easier to stetch. Has anyone done that with the Appbiz product?

The Plush is actually VERY stretchy. The secret to a good install is a good backing material or layer under the carpet. Otherwise there will be lump, bumps, wrinkles, etc.

Here is an excellent writeup by one of the member on PP & Rennlist.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-87-911-a.html
Old 12-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by h2ono
The interior of the car is more important to me than the exterior. I guess it makes sense as that's where I spend most of my time with the car.

Anyway, it's time to replace the carpet in my C4. I've done a lot of searching here and the information I have found combined with experience I have had with earlier cars should enable me to blither my way through with the installation. But I have a few questions that I wasn't able to find answers to with the searches:

(3) Everyone mentions that the factory glue is a bear. Someone mentioned that "Goof Off" works well - any opinion of that or other magic potions?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
JohnA
axl911 gave a really good answer, I'll just add that it depends, Appbiz has nice very reasonably priced RS carpet kits for 964, but if you want sliverknit which is the oem style, they only have it in black and afaik the embroidered script is not available.

If you want any other factory color you will either have to buy bulk and cut and bind the carpet yourself or buy from a European vendor.

One source would be Lakewell
Old 01-08-2010, 03:53 PM
SPDADCT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the new carpet swap coming along? Can you post some pics?

Quick Reply: Time to Replace Carpet