Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine tear down (final solution for oil leaks)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:32 PM
ian89C4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine tear down (final solution for oil leaks)

Guys and Gals,

I know that this will probably get responses with varied amounts, but what should I replace on the engine when I do the tear down?

I tried to kill the leaks, but the cylinder head gaskets and chain case gaskets on the left side of the engine are still leaking badly, and seem to be getting worse, so I have decided to just nip it in the bud and pull the engine. There are many good posts on removing the engine from a C4 so that is not an issue. I also do not plan to crack the case open, just remove the cylinders so that I can replace the gaskets. My mechanic suggests that I break the chain, but can I get it off without breaking it?

I plan on replacing all nuts and washers as well as all seals that I come across. Performance Products has a nice set of case and top seals which I will get. But is there anything else that I should replace?? Thanks in advance!!
Old 12-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Ian,

Wish you were just a little closer to Wilmington. Would love to help so that I can build the confidence to pull my engine one day.

Duck
Old 12-07-2009, 10:21 PM
ian89C4
Pro

I plan on having it out for a little while, at least until Feb. If you are ever in town PM before you come and you are more than welcome to swing by and see what state of chaos the engine (and my garage) are in to.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:00 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 437 Posts

Why not split the case? You can replace the bearings and use ARP rod bolts - it's not that much more work to open it up and make it a complete rebuild! It also lets you use new through-bolt seals - it would be a shame to have a through-bolt seal go bad due to coincidence, requiring another tear down!! You're already there, just do it all!
Old 12-08-2009, 09:07 AM
ian89C4
Pro

I guess I am just nervous about cracking open the case. I have teh 101 projects for your 911 book, is that a good walkthrough for this process? I know that the book uses an earlier engine but is the 3.6 case similar?

Quick Reply: Engine tear down (final solution for oil leaks)