Sponsored by:

Close Two Files - Two More Open

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 12:22 AM
jaudette3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Close Two Files - Two More Open

I've just finished replacing the seats in my '91 C4 with a black leather pair from an '86 Turbo. I thought it would be about as simple as it gets, but it wasn't. In any event, they're in, they look great and they're comfortable.

I also swapped out a worn stock gray steering wheel for a nice stock black leather one. Seemed easy. So those two files are closed.

But wait - two more have opened!

After I installed the driver side seat everything was fine. Now, after installing the new steering wheel and passenger side seat with one battery disable, the seat belt and airbag lights in the clock go on. What do I need to do to turn them off?

When installing the new seats I didn't use the stock connector. I just separated the hot and ground leads and connected them to the seats. When I installed the new steering wheel (with the old airbag) I just snapped on the wire on the center of the back of the airbag and tightened the two bolts.

Can anyone help? Sometimes this DIY stuff gets a little discouraging.

Thanks very much.

Cheers,
JohnA
Old 12-06-2009, 04:34 AM
jaudette3
Instructor

I apologize for posting before searching - just frustrated I guess. In any event, after a short search I found a thread where these problems were addressed with Durametric's (great) diagnostics tool. Duram is a friend of mine (lives here in Bend, Oregon also) and I have his tool. Going to take a look tomorrow.

I'm an old Porsche guy (yeah, both ways) and this electronics stuff is new to me. In cars, at least - I've been involved with computers and the Internet for many years.

Thanks,
JohnA
Old 12-06-2009, 01:41 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

John,
electronics... I know how you feel. I recently started to experience an overnight battery drain. I was really worried that this would be the start of a whole journey of pulling fuses, etc.

A quick Rennlist search and I was able to narrow down the problem... and surprise, surprise for me.... fix it! Rennlist!

Last edited by 911Jetta; 12-06-2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: text
Old 12-06-2009, 05:42 PM
jaudette3
Instructor

Used Durametric diagnostic to cancel the airbag fault code and things fine for now.

Cheers,
JohnA
Old 12-07-2009, 10:50 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Congrats!
Working on these cars electronics w/o some Hammer-like systems tester is like being a doctor w/o stethoscope nor X-ray machine.
Damned hard.

Quick Reply: Close Two Files - Two More Open