Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Common to Leak Around Windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 12:14 AM
jaudette3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Common to Leak Around Windshield?

I just removed both seats from my '91 C4 in preparation for the installation of a different pair. I was surprised to find a great deal of corrosion and rust in the wells under the seats. It was also quite wet under the bottom mat in the passenger foot well. I recently read about corrosion around the bottom of the windshield on another 964 - is it common for the seals to leak in that area?

I will be checking around the windshield as I am replacing mine next week. I wouldn't be surprised to see signs of leaking there.

To remedy things I have purchased new alarm and cruise control modules (neither the alarm or cruise control works at this point) that I will be installing. And I've been cleaning everything up by wire brushing the chassis and bead blasting the removable trays where the modules are mounted, followed by painting with Rustoleum.

Glad these cars are galvanized! This would have dire consequences in an older car.

Cheers,
JohnA
Old 12-03-2009, 04:57 AM
jneteler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rust around the front and rear windows is common but leaks, as far I can tell, is not.

You might also want to check your air conditioner drains and sunroof drains to make sure they are not clogged.

There are a few threads here discussing these items.

JNeteler
Old 12-03-2009, 04:57 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

While it is possible to get a leak through the front windscreen there are other ways water can get in to the footwells.

Blocked sunroof drains can be a problem - clean out by probing with some thick wire (I found the 1/8 inch nylon tubing that you can get for gas bottles works well).

Also clean the drains to the HVAC system - accessed from underneath by the fuel pump cover. Again thick wire or a dowel works.

Check inside the fresh air intake for debris that might be blocking the drains mentioned above.

Also check your bonnet (hood) seal near the windscreen - water was sneaking past mine and dripping into the compartment where the HVAC servos are located and then making its way to the footwells.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:11 AM
pantera43
Pro

John, as our cars age the more common the problem of leakage at the base of the windshield and other areas of glass. The rubber gaskets simply shrink and become brittle and no longer do their job. My older SC 911 leaked badly until I replaced the windshield gasket and had it resealed. I'm sure the weather in Oregon doesn't help matters. When looking for my C2 I found quite a few cars with rust blisters at the base of the windshield.

The other areas mentioned by JNetler and Steve are common areas of blockage. As they have suggested need to be checked out. Water leaks like oil leaks are hard to trace.

Dan
Old 12-03-2009, 08:24 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to check behind your door panels too. They should be sealed with a plastic sheet - mine wasn't, and that's how my interior was getting wet.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:15 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default water behind TRUNK carpeting?

I will be checking around the windshield as I am replacing mine next week. I wouldn't be surprised to see signs of leaking there.
To better understand the various systems on the 964, I took my trunk carpeting out shortly after I purchased the car. Fortunately I did this, as one day I saw a puddle of water at the base of the floor pan. Rust is forming at the base of my windshield, which I'm sure has formed tiny holes under the seal?

A word of warning to those with rust at the windshield base, check behind your trunk carpeting!

John,
Procuring and correctly installing a 964 windshield seems to be a bit of an art... please document what you can of the process? Many thanks in advance, Udo
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2009, 11:50 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Water can also pool in the trunk if the car is left out in the cold; alot of condensation forms under the hood in the winter, especially with a full gas tank. However, this does tend to run to the front of the trunk. Adrian S. recommends putting a towel in there and wringing it out at regular intervals
Old 12-03-2009, 01:04 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

On the subject of water pooling in the trunk, I recently traced the leak I have there to water going down the front drains and seeping in through tiny cracks where the front tub meets the trunk floor. The cracks look like they have been caused by previous grounding on kerbs (and possibly some undeclared accident damage by a PO ). It's going into a body shop next week to resolve the issue.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:04 PM
jaudette3
Instructor

Thanks for all of the input. Sounds like I need to check other areas for leaks as well. I do most of the work on my cars myself, but I'm having a professional do the installation. I will pass on what I have learned regarding making the seals water-tight.

Cheers,
JohnA
Old 12-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't heard much about the "sealant / no sealant" debate of a few years ago; it will be interesting to see what your installer does. Please post the results.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:53 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Damn Udo,

That is a beautiful trunk area there. It also looks like you have cup suspension on that car. Tell us more...
Old 12-04-2009, 10:20 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default visit AP's 964 project gallery

That is a beautiful trunk area there. It also looks like you have cup suspension on that car. Tell us more...
I wish it was my car... that was the best picture I could quickly find to represent how water leaks inside my trunk (in the bottom right corner I tried to note that it was a borrowed photo).

See the attached picture below for how to navigate through their website to see more AP project cars. They have finished some really neat 964 RS++++ project cars (the 2008 project car gallery is just incredible... look at Project 2,3,4,5, and 6!)

http://ap-car-design.de/

(follow the green arrows)
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Common to Leak Around Windshield?