Sponsored by:

Momo to Raid

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 12:02 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Momo to Raid

Days away from pulling out what I consider to be an overpowered dustbag and replacing it with a Momo competition wheel I've had around for years, my wife asks why I'd go with what she sees as a less safe route. Safety gets me many things in this household. My answer was the exorbitant pricing to get a factory replacement (which may have been on a shelf for about as long as my car is old).

After reading through the many RL threads on this topic, I've come to what I seems to be a reasonable solution; a Raid airbag wheel. I believe there are several listers running this wheel and are happy with it. All they really need are a Porsche badge dropped in the center and maybe the "raid" label replaced with something that says "911". Then again, unless it's a sticker the badge would probably lodge itself in my forehead during an accident.

Availability of compatible airbag wheels seems to be waning for the 964, so I'm going to get something in short order.

Two questions:

1) Any reasonably priced alternatives to Raid that you like? FVD?
2) Good sources besides OctimeX?

I'm looking at the Silberpfeil).
Old 11-28-2009, 03:05 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check Gert Carnewal's site.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:25 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Though I'd never actually recommend removing an airbag it is my understanding that the very concept of a "supplemental restraint system" is to complement the seat belt. In fact, airbags have been reduced in their potency for greater safety. The reason they were so powerful in the first place was that US regulations required them to restrain an UNbelted occupant. With your seatbelt on and a collapsible wheel I'm not sure they do much more than burn you and cost a lot.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 380 Posts

I got my wheel from http://www.tmtuning.com/
Old 12-01-2009, 12:39 PM
germanspeed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airbag steering wheel

I didn't know that VW steering wheels would fit the C2....do you have to get a special adapter or anything? I would love to see a picture if you have one...
Old 12-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by germanspeed
I didn't know that VW steering wheels would fit the C2....do you have to get a special adapter or anything? I would love to see a picture if you have one...
The Raid and most aftermarket steering wheels are universal and require a hub adapter to fit to a specific model car. When you buy the wheel, you also need to buy the adapter, which is about $120 for the 964 if I recall.

Quick Reply: Momo to Raid