Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS problem on a 1990 964 C2

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 11:06 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

There's a series of issues with non racing abs faults on the track, bottom line is you just have to be aware that they do happen. These are a few and way oversimplified, there's a few theads over on the racing forum with more details:

Braking into rough pavement or over gators can trigger it and if you're still at the limit you can flatspot a tire.

In a spin the abs can fault and release, and mixed sensor inputs, tire radius and friction can cause intermittent faults at unfortunate times, ska "black ice mode"

a fault on the street is more likely as was mentioned above, but if you were in tracklike conditions; fast, bumpy brake zone with sticky dot r's, the same conditions apply.

So just know that abs occasionally won't be there when you might need it, the fixes are either expen$I've (motorsports abs) or add hock (override or reset switch).
Old 04-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richard Curtis
To update: I recently removed the ABS relay, which appeared loose. I then brushed off the relay terminals, spread them apart ever so slightly, and reinserted. Quite frankly, the whole assembly still seemed a bit loose -- it would wiggle slightly when I jostled it -- but the ABS light hasn't come back on since.
Further update: Yesterday, I drove to the Hershey swap meet. After about 60 miles over relatively rough Northern Virginia-Maryland roads, the ABS light again began to flash intermittently... and, again, the flashing seemed related to bumps in the road. The ABS light would flash only very, very briefly. We stopped for coffee, raised the hood, opened the fuse box and, again, reseated the ABS relay. The light did not flash again for the remainder (240 miles) of the trip. Hope this helps someone since it's such a simple repair. Now, the car has retaliated by the fuel gauge not working as it should.

Quick Reply: ABS problem on a 1990 964 C2