Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another overfill question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 03:49 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These cars are not difficult to work on, but not everything is self explanitory either i.e. the oil fill procedure.

The book will help a lot.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:00 PM
choogh
Advanced

No it wont..over rated and over priced.. This forum has all the experitse in the game..
Old 11-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by choogh
No it wont..over rated and over priced.. This forum has all the experitse in the game..
...and you can prove this by asking "What kind of oil should I use?"

You're doing the right thing by getting the book, you'll use it.
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/isb...936/index.html

Amazon wants $167 ?!!!!

What is that the dog got into????
Old 11-21-2009, 11:15 AM
rcarpen22
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bearclaw

What is that the dog got into????
Ha! That's my lab. I left him home in the backyard one day (when I used to live in Georgia). It rained and he decided to dig a giant mudhole. Then he dropped his tennis ball in the mud and stuck his face in the mud to get it.

As for the book, I ordered from Borders with a 30% off coupon, paid about $35. It has not yet arrived

As for the car, I drained it down to six quarts last night, put the bumper back on and fired it up. Oil pressure was fine. I let it warm up forever. It eventually quit smoking before I even started driving, but the temp never got over the second mark. I drove around a little (still couldn't get the temp up) then I added oil at about a 1/2 quart at a time. I eventually added 4 additional quarts (total of 10) and never got anything on the dipstick or on the gauge. I didn't want to add more because the owner's manual (which I didn't even realize was in there until last night) said to put in 6.4 then warm up and add 3.2. So, I'm already over what the manual says and afraid of overfilling again. More good news though. My buddy was putting the back wheels/tires back on while it was still on the lift and he announced, "hey, it has lsd!" Christmas came early this year! Checked the option code and sure enough, limited slip. Any thoughts? (on the oil issue).
Thanks
Old 11-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With all this filling and draining , its hard to really know/understand where your oil level might be .
You really need to get it hot hot for the oil level test , imho .
If you fill it up when less than hot hot , when it does get hot hot it will be overfilled .
Old 11-21-2009, 04:46 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rcarpen22
... but the temp never got over the second mark. I drove around a little (still couldn't get the temp up) ... Any thoughts? (on the oil issue).
Thanks
I don't trust my oil level until the temp gauge shows about 9 o'clock. The last 500 ml and the last 20 or whatever degrees makes a marked difference in level, at least in my car. And, if my thermostat isn't open to the oil cooler when adding oil, I'll overfill the car for sure. So get the thing hot.

I find I can get my car hot enough, even on cold days, by driving around the neighbourhood streets in 1st gear at about 3000 rpm. The combination of low airflow over the cooler and moderate revs seems to do the trick. I've also seen throwing a blanket over the engine lid at idle recommended, although I've never needed to do that.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:55 PM
rcarpen22
Racer

I let it idle for 20 minutes or so and then drove around for about 30 min. The needle was reading at the second line (about 9 o'clock). It has very near 10 quarts in it now. I'm not putting in any more until I can drive it hard enough to make sure it's hot.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Rob: When the engine is hot enough for checking oil level, the needle will have gone above the THIRD mark (the first two marks are very close together; the third mark is about 8 o'clock on the dial) -- which is when the thermostat opens, sending the hot oil in the oil tank to the front-mounted oil radiator -- and then the needle drops back just below that third mark. Now you can check the oil level. I've never found that idling the engine ever gets the oil hot enough, except maybe on the hottest summer days. Recently, I've driven the car as much as 25 miles at 2,500-3,000 rpm and still not gotten mine hot enough. Once you get the needle to go above the THIRD mark and then drop back below it, park the car on a very level place and let it idle for at least 30 seconds. The oil level needle then should be at about 3 o'clock when correctly filled. THEN check the oil level with the dipstick. My experience has been that when the oil-level needle is at 3 o'clock, the dipstick shows the oil level about halfway between the two notches on the dipstick. If, when properly hot, the oil level needle never rises above the red zone, it only takes about a half-quart to get the needle to 3 o'clock.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:47 PM
rcarpen22
Racer

Thanks. I think my oil level gauge is broken. I've been doing all my checks with the dipstick. It's tough to read, as there is always a little sheen on the stick from the in and out. I think I'm getting the hang of it though. I'm going to write up my impressions of the car once I get a little seat time. It was not driveable when I bought it.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:14 PM
rcarpen22
Racer

Ha! It never ends! I'm going back to 944s. So, I drove all over the place, just like last night and then checked the level. Now, according to the gauge, I am just a hair over the red zone. According to the dipstick, well, to the best of my ability to read it, it looks like I'm overfilled again. I'm setting the car on fire and pushing it off a cliff If the gauge is off, is that most likely a sending unit issue, or a take the dash apart issue?
Old 11-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

>If the gauge is off, is that most likely a sending unit issue, or a take the dash apart issue?<

You can remove any of the gauges merely by pulling them out of the dash (friction fit). Might take a little levering, but they will come out. But your gauge seems to be working. If it's a hair over the red, it means it's just about at the right level. Probably wouldn't take more than a pint to bring the needle up to 3 o'clock, but the engine must -- again -- be very hot in order for the gauge to read correctly.

As for the dipstick, we ALL have trouble reading the dipstick for the reason you cite. You might want to take a file and scratch up the dipstick between those two notches. Makes reading it easier.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:12 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

If you decide to keep the car, the manual is a good first read.

[ATTACH]Name:  idle warning.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  45.8 KB[/ATTACH]
Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Forget the dip stick .
Watch the gauge .
Just over the red zone is perfect .

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/503895-oil.html
Old 11-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rcarpen22
I'm going back to 944s.
Dude !
Old 11-22-2009, 09:26 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Going back to 944... a great car, but don't taunt the 964, she doesn't play that way.

The car is DEFINETELY in-charge here. Rejoice, you have a limited difi! That's HUGE,

point the nose... start the turn, then FLOOR IT... take advantage of the flat 6 hanging way back there... the 220 option is a huge benefit! Your new OLD car will hang with the best of them on the curvy roads!

Quick Reply: Another overfill question