Sponsored by:

Oil Leak Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 02:03 AM
slips2
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Oil Leak Advice

Latest project is attacking the oil leaks of a 1990 C2 with 74K miles.

I replaced the oil return tubes and put a new crush washer between the main oil line adapter and the engine case - those areas are now dry:

The passenger/right-side of the engine (cylinders #4, 5 & 6) is completely dry:

However, there is a continuing leak on the driver-side of the engine in the area of cylinders #1 & 2:

Both sides of the cooling air duct for cylinder #1 drip oil, the rear-most portion of the cooling air duct for cylinder #2 drips oil, and the driver-side engine case is covered with fresh oil - all marked by red arrows in the following picture:

The leading portion of the cooling air duct for cylinder #2 is dry (green arrow) and the further-forward cylinder #3 is also dry.
The cooling fins for cylinders #1 & 2 are not showing any oil.

From what I can see without removing parts from the top of the engine, the crankcase top breather cover and the oil sender areas do not appear to be leaking oil. There is some "old" oil around the intakes' sleeved connections, possibly indicating an oil overfill in the past.
Could there still be oil seeping from the intakes?
Would oil in the intake manifest itself in what I see from below?

What else should I check?
Dig deeper into top of the engine even though there's no visible oil?
Could this be a dreaded cylinder to engine case leak, even though the #1 & 2 cylinders have no oil on their cooling fins?

Last edited by slips2; 11-16-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:22 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

This would be great to know as I am in the process of tracking down some leaks for myself (similar to what you have). Maybe white car syndrome.

How was it replacing the oil return tubes? Your tubes look a bit scraped up.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I would start by cleaning the everything. Then take the car for a drive and as soon as you get home, jack up the car and look for shiny or wet spots. Without cleaning first, you may be seeing oil on one part that may not be leaking. The engine's air cooling blows oil around making it hard to say definitively where the source of the leak is.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:20 PM
d3drturner
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do you think it's not leaking from the base of the cylinder? I have this same leak on cylinder 3 and that's what I suspect.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:48 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Leaks at the top of the motor are hard to find because the hot oil flows easily, and exits the scene. It does wash dirt on the way down, so you see thick deposits near the bottom of the engine.

My car at 65 k miles was not leaking, but I did some "while you are in there" seal replacements. The O-ring on the oil sender crumbled. The 0-rings associated with the power steering were also very brittle. I would get those, and the valve cover gaskets sorted first, and then see if there is still a leak.

Stopping a leak is sometimes by process of elimination.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ceby,

Not a white car syndrome. I have the same problem.

Duck
Old 11-25-2009, 09:30 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Wash n' Watch" Case feed thru bolt seals or by removing the alt. see what's going on on top of the engine case/cylinder I/F.

Bill
Old 11-27-2009, 12:03 PM
slips2
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

All helpfull input everyone, thanks!

I'm going to pull the intakes and replace the 20 year-old top-end seals, once they arrive from Sunset. I'll post pictures with my findings.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:44 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Please do ... eager to see if this sorts your issue. I'm also at the early stages of diagnosing oil spring sources.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak Advice