Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace the rear engine compartment cable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:11 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to replace the rear engine compartment cable?

Greetings;

Firstly, thanks to all who have assisted me in ideas and suggestions for specific repairs on my 964. I have another issue to solve this weekend and I need help as I do not know where to start.

When I pull on the rear engine release cable (inside the drivers doors frame) nothing happens. I hear the release of a latch or something but the engine compartment will not open. If I reach around and pull on it when the cable is fully extended, the engine compartment releases. Is the cable worn, or does it need adjusting to work properly? I ordered a new cable (with handle) today but need DIY instructions to proceed when it comes.

Please don't hold back your suggestions...
Old 11-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by SAM DACOSTA
Greetings;

Firstly, thanks to all who have assisted me in ideas and suggestions for specific repairs on my 964. I have another issue to solve this weekend and I need help as I do not know where to start.

When I pull on the rear engine release cable (inside the drivers doors frame) nothing happens. I hear the release of a latch or something but the engine compartment will not open. If I reach around and pull on it when the cable is fully extended, the engine compartment releases. Is the cable worn, or does it need adjusting to work properly? I ordered a new cable (with handle) today but need DIY instructions to proceed when it comes.

Please don't hold back your suggestions...
Might be as simple as adjusting at the latch end (engine bay)... or the end came off the base (again, also at the end of the cable in the engine bay, check the latch), or the end got damage and it is giving in when you pull... either way you need to look at the latch mechanism in the engine bay to determine the cause.

If you ever worked with the brakes on a bicycle, it is all the same in terms of the mechanics of it..
Old 11-11-2009, 09:27 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

"Wachuko" I tried to adjust the cable (loosing the secured end and pulling on the cable with a pliers) but it never made a difference. When I get home tonight from work (9pm) I'll look at the latch mechanism again and re-evaluate the adjustment per your post.

Thanks always.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:27 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

mine does the same thing because the hood pistons arent strong enough to pop it open.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:41 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Originally Posted by jimq
mine does the same thing because the hood pistons arent strong enough to pop it open.
That was mentioned by another friend elsewhere, so I changed out the rear hood shocks but it did not make a difference, so I'm back to the cable replacement or adjustment as mentioned earlier by "Wachuko."
Old 11-12-2009, 10:15 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seeing as you have the new cable you might as well put that in. Just disconnect it at the latch and pull it out from the handle end. Then just thread the new one in from the handle. You can't go wrong as the tube containing the cable runs right from the door to the engine bay.

I'd say you need to do some lubing of the latch once you have attached the new cable. It's a strange mechanism in that it is spring loaded such that if the cable snaps (mine did at the handle), the lid should spring open (as a failsafe mechanism). However, I should say that this changed with the later cars when an emergency release cable and redesigned latch was fitted.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:21 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

As boxsey says
this changed with the later cars when an emergency release cable and redesigned latch was fitted
from raamerica.net - Rear deck lid release cable failure
http://www.rsamerica.net/articles/te...id_article.htm
Old 11-12-2009, 04:55 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

"boxsey911" thanks for the explanation and being so simple I'll be doing it tonight after work. Last night I re-attempted to adjust the cable once again but I got no more tension by pulling on the end to the latch and the engine compartment would not release by the cable.

"911Jetta" thanks for the link indicating the emergency release cable. I never knew that existed and it's good to know for future reference, or to assist others.

So hopefully I'll be posting that it's completed and works well. Thanks again guys.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:39 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I put my new cable on, I recall having to hold the catch under tension against its spring before tightening the screw that holds the cable. Sorry that sounds a bit vague but it was nearly 3 years ago that I had to do it. Hope it might help you though.

Quick Reply: How to replace the rear engine compartment cable?