Save the Planet: Drive a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 02:41 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts
Default Save the Planet: Drive a Porsche

This story kind of mirrors my life...

Save enough money by commuting (by bike) to easily buy a car that I've always wanted. Then, when I drive, it's in something very special!

Unfortunately my routes aren't always as special as the car. After not driving for a week, I have to take the kids to soccer practice... again, at least it's in something special!

Save the Planet: Drive a Porsche
How a classic car can be greener than your Prius.

http://www.slate.com/id/2233834/pagenum/all/#p2

Last edited by 911Jetta; 10-29-2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: text
Old 10-29-2009, 03:24 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 295 Posts

Great story! Not sure if I'm going to abandon my DD Honda, but sounds similar to the search I'm on right now.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:31 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a secret eco-nut. All factors considered, a 964 is one of the most eco friendly cars you can own.

Manufacturing is a large factor in environmental impact. IIRC the average car is designed to last ~10 years. There are a lot of 964 here at ~20 years showing no need for replacement. Factoring manufacturing, a new Prius is going to need a lot of time (probably exceeding the lifespan of the car) to match the minimal impact per mile of a 964. Let’s see what that same 2009 Prius is doing in 20 years.

It is ironic (maybe moronic) to see, ‘Eco-friendly Car of the Year’ articles and awards.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:13 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Ho-hum.
The 'Progressive' flavoring of the piece spoiled my reading of what I hoped would become a perspective on vintage 911s.
(I *really* was waiting for him to get more into that '66 911!)

The writer takes the pitch-perfect metrosexual, Progressive stance:
'Cars are the crappy choice for the hoi-paloi. Mass transit's where it's at!'
'But I'm the exception to the rule, and here's my justification: I wanna cool 911!'

He disparages others for making the same choice he's longing for.
Then bestows approval on his own plans with a bunch of self-rationalizations.

[blech] Pass.

But a nice link was provided to that classic Risky Business line: "Who's the U-boat commander?"
Heh. Forever a classic.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:20 PM
kevjandon
Racer

This is why I didn't understand the cash for clukers thing.

Get folks to trade in perfectly good, running cars so they can be destroyed(remember you had to show insurance and regristration for the last year) for brand new ones.

How is it eco friendly to destroy something that works and manufactuer its replacement?

It's like ripping out your driveway because it has a crack and putting a new one in its place. It is not eco-friendly at all.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:44 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kevjandon
This is why I didn't understand the cash for clukers thing.

Get folks to trade in perfectly good, running cars so they can be destroyed(remember you had to show insurance and regristration for the last year) for brand new ones.

How is it eco friendly to destroy something that works and manufactuer its replacement?

It's like ripping out your driveway because it has a crack and putting a new one in its place. It is not eco-friendly at all.
You are correct. Cash for Clunkers had NOTHING to do with environmental improvement. It was about economic stimulus.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:20 AM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueHeeler
You are correct. Cash for Clunkers had NOTHING to do with environmental improvement. It was about economic stimulus.
Werd.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:26 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Originally Posted by BlueHeeler

Manufacturing is a large factor in environmental impact. IIRC the average car is designed to last ~10 years. There are a lot of 964 here at ~20 years showing no need for replacement. Factoring manufacturing, a new Prius is going to need a lot of time (probably exceeding the lifespan of the car) to match the minimal impact per mile of a 964. Let’s see what that same 2009 Prius is doing in 20 years.
Manufacturing costs aside, the biggest issue lies in how the batteries are disposed. The hybrid car makers are pretty secretive about this and the environmental impact they could have.

It's greenest running an old, well maintained car.

Quick Reply: Save the Planet: Drive a Porsche