Sponsored by:

Performance question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:28 AM
Arrowhead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Performance question

Hello all. I recently purchased a 1991 C2 coupe and have a couple questions about adding performance. I want to ad a cat delete and a performance chip. I run 93 octane fuel.

How much louder will the cat delete make my car in cabin and outside.

Will the cat delete add hp

Which performance chip should I use and will I gain hp.

Thank you in advance.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:35 AM
anto1150
Pro

Originally Posted by Arrowhead
Hello all. I recently purchased a 1991 C2 coupe and have a couple questions about adding performance. I want to ad a cat delete and a performance chip. I run 93 octane fuel.

How much louder will the cat delete make my car in cabin and outside.

Will the cat delete add hp

Which performance chip should I use and will I gain hp.

Thank you in advance.
I would first introduce myself and the car....
If you loose some time doing a little search, there's plenty about what you ask.
(no polemic)
Old 10-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Arrowhead
Instructor

Thats not a problem Antonino. I am 61 years young and retired. I have a love for automobiles since I was 13 when I got my 1953 plymouth from my father as a field car. I went through 5 field cars before I got my drivers license. I have owned at least 50 classic and performance cars in the past I have my own hobby shop garage which consists of everything most auto shops would have. I do all my own work from rebuilding engines and trannys, body work, paint, fabricating just about anything, etc. My most recent auto's were the Saab Classic 900 Turbo's, coupe's and convertible. I raced dirt bikes, snowmobiles and cars. Built an off road Jeep that could drive right over my Porsche. I think I will stop there about my self. I did a search concerning any extra noise with a cat delete and could not find anything. As far as a performance chip, I did read alot about but why not ask anyway. Thank you all for listening. Richard
Old 10-26-2009, 09:49 AM
964speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back to the question - the cat deletion will add a lot more sound to your car - whether it’s too loud or not is up to you. You will get a boost in HP nothing to scream about. As far as Chips go – there are a lot out there I used the Steve Wong chip – running 93, no cats and the chip I’d say I added 20 -25 hp
Old 10-26-2009, 10:01 AM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome to the madness Richard !

- Cat delete: Most guys here do cat delete and primary by pass (cup pipe - more hp less torque) or secondary (G-pipe - more torque less hp).You could do a cat delete itself,(a increised noise you could live with - but most restrictive is the primary muffler/cat combo.
- chip: Most chips available on the market from unknown sellers are not worth much and give a risk of increised red line(7200 rpm) and on a standard engine it's a NO, NO, !!!(Ask me how I know...).
There are exeptions however and carefully calibrated chip will bring some gain in low and mid rpm response (Most guys like Steve Wong chips - no affiliation etc.)

Hope this helps !
Old 10-26-2009, 11:26 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I find it very disturbing the way you guys are talking about the Porsche exhaust as noise, we all know that it is nothing but pure MUSIC
That said, I have the cat bypass and cup pipe, and find the interior music level not much different than the stock setup, but outside people tell me it has a very nice sound, and in no way annoying.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:46 PM
964speed
Pro

Originally Posted by crg53
I find it very disturbing the way you guys are talking about the Porsche exhaust as noise, we all know that it is nothing but pure MUSIC
That said, I have the cat bypass and cup pipe, and find the interior music level not much different than the stock setup, but outside people tell me it has a very nice sound, and in no way annoying.
Very sorry - SOUND aka Music!
Old 10-26-2009, 02:47 PM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

My cat-delete w/cup pipe (primary muffler delete), chip, K&N Filter with drilled air box all in all adds about 30 hp.

- The cat-delete adds a punch of torque at about 5000 RPM - which is great for track/hwy use
- The noise level is great. Not to much but also great for "tunnel blasting". I always get compliments on the sound.
- My chip was custom designed which maintains the original redline. I have tried several other kinds and would always end up with idle problems. That was until I landed on this custom one I got from my personal Porsche mechanic. If you are interested, I can send you to him. The chip was about $350

- Note, With the configuration I have, I was advised NOT to delete the secondary (large) muffler and replace with a "G Pipe" due to the fact that such a wide-open system does not maintain enough back-pressure causing loss of power and a lean fuel burning condition.

Hope that helps just a little bit...
Old 10-26-2009, 03:04 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Welcome, Richard!

Nice autosport CV.
Originally Posted by Arrowhead
I have a love for automobiles since I was 13 when I got my 1953 plymouth from my father as a field car. I went through 5 field cars before I got my drivers license. I have owned at least 50 classic and performance cars in the past I have my own hobby shop garage which consists of everything most auto shops would have. I do all my own work from rebuilding engines and trannys, body work, paint, fabricating just about anything, etc. My most recent auto's were the Saab Classic 900 Turbo's, coupe's and convertible. I raced dirt bikes, snowmobiles and cars. Built an off road Jeep that could drive right over my Porsche ...
Old 10-26-2009, 03:57 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome and post some pictures of the car not you

Quick Reply: Performance question