Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Microencapsulated ping sensor bolt necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 08:14 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Microencapsulated ping sensor bolt necessary?

Anyone know if the 6mm bolts that attach the ping sensor bridges to the tops of the cylinders really needs to be replaced with new ones when removed? Repair Manual says yes, but no one carries them in stock, which tells me no one replaces them.

Manual says they are microencapsulated, which I guess means they are coated with a material that helps transmit the sound waves from the cylinder to the sensor? And they have to be replaced because the coating is ruined upon removal?

"Funny" part is, I explained this to the salesman when I ordered some used and new parts from a large East Coast house. I told them if they could get me some new ones at not more than a few dollars each (which is about what I paid when I last bought a set), to throw them in. When I saw the invoice, they only charged $2 each for a set, but when I opened the box, they were a set that had been pulled out of a car, and are no more valuable than a regular 6mm x 15mm hex!

Of course, it's the one part I got screwed on that will prevent me from completing reassembly this weekend. It's always something.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:05 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

The micro-encapsulation has nothing to do with sound transmission. The micro-capsules break during installation, and release liquid thread locker. This saves the assembly line from needing to keep a supply of messy liquid thread locker on hand. Clean up the threads, and apply blue/removable-grade thread locker, and you should be good.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:00 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Duh, so last time around I bought that set of new bolts, while I had a tube of each type threadlocker in my toolbox? Shoulda checked Rennlist first.

Thanks for the reply!

Quick Reply: Microencapsulated ping sensor bolt necessary?