Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New all-temp tire recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:25 PM
stinkydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New all-temp tire recommendations?

I'm getting down to the wire with my Pirelli P7s and need to think about getting some new rubber.

The car is a C2, with original D-90s (16"). Doesn't see any track use. I'd like something on the 'sportier' side of the sport-comfort spectrum.

I don't drive it on snow, and rarely on wet roads, but I need something that will handle a wide temperature range (from below freezing to 100 F). The Pirellis are great in the summer, but start losing their grip on cool mornings. Budget is around $150-200 per tire. Any good ideas?
Old 09-23-2009, 08:12 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't drive my p-car year round but I have friends, here, in the frigid Midwest who drive their performance cars pretty impressively with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's. It looks like th A/S Plus comes in the right sizes and prices.

You might want to peruse the Tire Rack Surveys for other options.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:21 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not on the tire rack but good for all temperatures are Nokian summer tires. I have their NRZi's but notice they don't make them anymore. In fact, they don't seem to make a suitable summer tire for our cars at all anymore! Too bad because with the NRZi's they claimed good handling down to the freezing point, which can happen anytime of year in the frozen prairies of canada....

But a friend with an M3 has the Pilot A/S's and loves them for all temperatures (except below freezing when he puts the car away)
Old 09-23-2009, 09:48 PM
user 783003
Banned

I bought the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S last fall. I bought them and had them installed on the D-90's at TireRack in South Bend. I drove them a few times in the winter when there was no chance of snow, but below freezing. Been caught a few times in the rain too. No temps above 85 yet in them. They've been great.

On the flip side, I've been looking to get into a summer tire that will work better for AutoCross. They are not grippy enough for me on the corners.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:39 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

3 mos ago installed Falkens...recommendation of my tire guy (based on requests by last 3 Porsche and a Ferrari owners he "tired").

A performance tire co. that does not advertise to the extent of Michelin (and on my last car, lousy wear out of Pilots) or Pirelli
http://www.falkentire.com/News/TEAM-...TIT-LE-MANS-89
Old 09-24-2009, 06:49 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have used the Bridgestone Potenza pole position RE960AS.. Good all year round driving.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:50 AM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I installed Pirelli P Zero Nero all season in 16" on my C4 at the recommendation of Damon at Tire Rack. I used them year round, drove through lots of snow, pulled my wife's car out of the ditch, etc. Very happy with them. Have put about 28K miles on them. They are very quiet and "comfortable". They are not a true winter tire, though. In the 3rd winter I had my accident on snow/ice. Was it the tires, probably not, but they were worn. Check the reviews at Tire Rack and call and ask for Damon. All of my tires for all of my cars come via his recommendations.

Quick Reply: New all-temp tire recommendations?