oil leak/air bag light

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:18 PM
pchak
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil leak/air bag light

Hey guys,
I went to look at a car today that needed a little TLC, but was very strong mech.
(I'll post more details later, but am running late).

Facing the compartment, the car has a small leak to the right, at a point where three of the ignition wires are connected to a holder. A little oil has collected on the "shelf" (where the sub frame runs under the rear inner panel?) below the oil filter. NO trace of it tunning down the wall from the filter, or higher off the engine. In facr, the rest of the engine is remarkably clean of oil (not just recently wiped-down, but no apparent signs of leakage).

Any quick thoughts on a likely culprit? I wasn't sure how to look this one up in search, as "oil leak" on a 964 is pretty encompassing . Is that black plastic cover on the rear of the engine the timing cover?

I should be able to find my other majot concern-the air bag light stays on (blinks once after 10 sec).

I need to start tallying the potential work for an offer tomorrow, so I figured I would hit the two main concerns. The only other probs aside from cosmetic are the high-beam indicatore out, and hazard light indicator out.

Thanks!

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2009, 10:08 PM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

During an oil change there is a lot of areas where the oil can go (while removing oil filter),so make sure it's not the residue of an oil change.Air bag light I can't help with (my '89 doesn't have one)
Old 09-22-2009, 10:58 PM
pchak
Pro

Thanks for your input, Rob. It's something to consider, as there isn't any leakage anywhere else.
Otherwise, the car runs really well. It had the head gasket rebuild at 55k, new clutch, dmf replaced. The clutch feels brand new. Paint is in good shape but car needs a good polish/wax. Interior is fair, with a little wear, but not trashed. the driver door pocket needs replaced/fixed. Targa top needs reskinned.

As for airbag light, I've found a number of post on that. (BTW, it's just that one. seatbelt light goes out, as long as belts are fastened).

thanks!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:06 PM
pchak
Pro

Just had a thought-potential oil overfill? While waiting to pull out of the parking lot, I noticed that the gauge was higher than I would expect, but it' not as if it's totally accurate...
Old 09-23-2009, 12:00 AM
mrmandmman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have oil/gunk there too. I haven't changed mine yet since I just got it but it certainly doesn't look like there is a good way to catch all the oil from the filter as you unscrew it, other than just jamming a bunch of rags down there.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:32 AM
pchak
Pro

This oil was pretty clean, not dirty or gunky at all...
Old 09-23-2009, 10:05 AM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pchak
Just had a thought-potential oil overfill? While waiting to pull out of the parking lot, I noticed that the gauge was higher than I would expect, but it' not as if it's totally accurate...
Bill,

I don't think oil overfill would leave anything on the outside (near filter),but would dump it in to air intake and cause all kinds of trouble (search archives - lots of posts there).Gauge showing full while engine hot is not nececcerly a bad thing if oil was added properly,but to stay safe most guys keep it 1/2 to 3/4 full.
My bet is still on oil change mess.BTW the only semi clean way to do it is to stuff paper or cloth towels in to the bay and under filter and if you are ambitious go for the cap/bolt on the back of filter assembly on the inside of fender and get oil out there before taking off the filter(but it doesn't eliminate oil drips from filter entirely)so most don't bother.
Good luck !!!

Last edited by velocitylover; 09-23-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:47 AM
ian89C4
Pro

+ 1 for oil change mess. My C4 also has the residual oil down there. I used to care about getting it all clean, but now I have accepted it as long as it is not too bad. When changing the filter out, I wrench told me to punch a hole in the top corner of the filter with a nail and it will allow it too drain (better) without going for the bolt that Rob mentioned. You will still get a little bit of oil though.

+ 1 on oil over fill leaking into the intakes and other places internally that it should not go. I think you are safe.

Don't know about the airbag, I also do not have one. Good luck with the purchase, they are great cars!!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:04 PM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Hey Ian,
Nice car,and fastest color !! I noticed your car was made 41 cars after mine,so it looks like sometime in 1989 the might have been parked on the same parking lot ready for shipping...
Still on original engine/trans? Any serious work done to it ?
Old 09-23-2009, 01:08 PM
pchak
Pro

I really didn't think the overfill was credible either, especially with how well it was running, and no other tell-tale overfill signs. As I think more about it, the oil certainly look as if it had circulated at all through an engine with even the minimum amount of miles on it, lol. Way too clean. As for oil filter gymnastics, have you ever seen how you have to take out a 944 filter? The thing is practically upside down!

As for tapping a whole in your filter, I might mention that you should make sure that the filter is loose (i.e., will come off) before doing the deed.

I'm leaning toward the clock issue, rather than the sensor, with the airbag light. PLENTY of topic threads on that!

cheers!
Old 09-23-2009, 05:42 PM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pchak
I really didn't think the overfill was credible either, especially with how well it was running, and no other tell-tale overfill signs. As I think more about it, the oil certainly look as if it had circulated at all through an engine with even the minimum amount of miles on it, lol. Way too clean. As for oil filter gymnastics, have you ever seen how you have to take out a 944 filter? The thing is practically upside down!

As for tapping a whole in your filter, I might mention that you should make sure that the filter is loose (i.e., will come off) before doing the deed.

I'm leaning toward the clock issue, rather than the sensor, with the airbag light. PLENTY of topic threads on that!

cheers!
Nope never had the pleasure of 944,but I must admit I thought about it.. I guess my two e 36 BMW's were too good to walk away from toward a 944 in the past...now you gave me a good excuse
Old 09-23-2009, 07:03 PM
ian89C4
Pro

Rob,

No crazy work done to her, B&B exhaust, H&R sway bars, cold air intake, RS air inlets (avatar is an old pic). Next project is Bilsteins and H&R greens, the parts are slowly trickling in. Have you lowered yours? If you have, what hight due you have at in mm's from the measuring points? I really don't know what to set it at yet. I track it about every three months and do a lot of spirited driving.

I can just think of the two cars being parked nose to nose on the lot getting ready to board the boat for the states, now that would be a sight. And it is the BEST and fastest color, the old girl still puts young 997's to shame all the time.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:17 PM
jneteler
Racer

Check the oil filler cap.

I had a similar problem where it would burp some oil on spirited mountain drives.

The fix is to replace the filler neck or to simply secure the cap with a hose clamp.

JNeteler
Old 09-23-2009, 11:16 PM
pchak
Pro

JNeteler-

Than ks for the tip. That was kind of the goofiness that I was thinking of when I was thinking of overfill, so I guess I wasn't as crazy as I thought!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:21 AM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ian89C4
Rob,

No crazy work done to her, B&B exhaust, H&R sway bars, cold air intake, RS air inlets (avatar is an old pic). Next project is Bilsteins and H&R greens, the parts are slowly trickling in. Have you lowered yours? If you have, what hight due you have at in mm's from the measuring points? I really don't know what to set it at yet. I track it about every three months and do a lot of spirited driving.

I can just think of the two cars being parked nose to nose on the lot getting ready to board the boat for the states, now that would be a sight. And it is the BEST and fastest color, the old girl still puts young 997's to shame all the time.

Ian,
Yes I have lowered her using set up of H&R struts and red(turbo) springs.
The height is RS + 10 mm (remember I live in Chicagoland so no race track surface quality on streets)Mesurements taken from poits according to Adrian Streater book and what I could find here).
One thing is for sure, lower her (and if you don't go too low - bump steer) you'll be very happy with how incredibly the car will handle comparing to stock !!

Quick Reply: oil leak/air bag light