Sponsored by:

Valve Adjustment Virgin

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Adjustment Virgin

I'm in the middle of doing my first valve adjustment and service (inc fuel filter, gear oil ,belts etc.)
I used a mixture of methods to do the adjustment, I made one of the VAS and used this to get a ballpark measurement then checked it by using the backside method (described on pelican) then confirmed it with the traditional elephant foot tool. As this was my first time doing it so this way gave me right "feel" for the Porsche feeler gauger.

I have to say I think the backside method is by far the best way to go for a first timer as it is either right or wrong there is no subjective feel, though now that i have done it I have got the "feel" for the traditional method.

The one thing that I hope I did correctly was to tighten the adjustment nuts enough as there is no torque settings for these that i can find?

Just have to fit new spark plugs, put EVERYTHING back together start it up and hope it does not sound like a bag of spanners .

Most satisfying thing from the whole process was winning the battle with the cat bolts.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:25 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Crystal Cranks
...start it up and hope it does not sound like a bag of spanners.
It won't.

You sound sufficiently paranoi - err - cognizant...
Reflective... 'attuned'... worried...

(...paranoid.)
Old 09-21-2009, 06:08 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job !

I agree the back side method is the way to go. I didn't even use the crows foot feeler. I also used the funky angle screw driver as seen on here. It kind of helped too.

And Just think you just saved about $2000.00 doing all that work your self !
Old 09-21-2009, 07:29 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will be happy with the result. Only remember to not tighten the valve cover nuts too much. It only takes 7 lbs! That's just wrist tight...

And congratulations on doing your first. You saved a lot of $$.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

Just got everything back together this evening, had to wait as i decided to order new washers for the valve covers from the OPC as they did not come with the service kit and mine did not look too good, i was aware that some people had received thin washers so I ordered from Porsche to make sure.

Were you all as nervous as I was when you started your car after your first valve adjustment?

Anyway all sounds sweet and my previously wet valve covers are now dry and my wife is happy that I will not be spending all my spare time in the garage for a while anyway.

I could not have done this without all the info and help that I have found on Rennlist, Thanks.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:07 AM
rockpicker
Advanced

Nice! I will be doing mine for the first time once the snow flies and have been reading the archives. Did you pull the engine?
Old 09-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

Originally Posted by rockpicker
Nice! I will be doing mine for the first time once the snow flies and have been reading the archives. Did you pull the engine?
No need to pull the engine, just get the car up on stands but expect to spend alot of time on your back . If it's your first time it's not a bad idea to go over the adjustment a couple of times as you will get a good feel for it after the first go. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Valve Adjustment Virgin