Sponsored by:

94 964C4:Should I lower it

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:51 PM
rvermilye
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 964C4:Should I lower it

I've had a 94 964C4 since 2000. Stock wheels and height. I've always thought about lowering the car but have never done it. Any suggestions? When I looked into it early on after getting the car the local Porsche guy suggested to leave it as it was. Can anyone give me ideas of what they've done and to theirs?
Thanks
Old 09-20-2009, 09:30 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you been able to find out anything using the search feature yet? It might answer alot of questions. I go there first and ask questions to fill in the gaps (if required). Searching H&R and Eibach should get you started.

Not all local Porsche guys are created equal. :-) Almost everyone here will say to go lower. They may even throw zingers at an SUV height 964.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:55 PM
bwoodry
Racer

Call Steve Weiner at Rennsport systems,, he can give you great advice..

I lowered mine using H& R greens and Bilsteins , love it,,,
Old 09-20-2009, 10:24 PM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you don't like the chronic understeer of the C4 then you will have to look at some of the various solutions in this forum to cure or minimise it. I have KW Variant 3's with a C2 rear swaybar set up between RS and Cup specs and it has transformed the car into a neutral handling pleasure to drive. I have no difficluty turning mild understeer to controllable oversteer with throttle control alone and I am by no means a regular track junkie.

It all depends on why you feel that now you need to consider lowering it. If it's mainly for aesthetics and to make the car a little more responsive, then there are a number of combinations, the Bilsteins and HR greens being one of the most popular. This will result in a far nicer handling car with a purposeful stance that looks good on the road for a reasonable dollar outlay.

As suggested do a search using some key words and also look at the article "Wringing out the C4" as it deals with a number of the common complaints regarding the C4's handling and ways of dealing with it.

Regards,

Neil
Old 09-20-2009, 10:57 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're anywhere near Charleston, you may want to schedule an appointment with Autometrics. They'll make sure any work is done right.
http://www.autometricsmotorsports.com/default.htm

It might be helpful to know the condition of your p-car and how you typically enjoy it.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:08 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 H&R Greens and Bilsteins. Things are just fine after 2 years.

If you are content with the way it handles and rides then there is really no need to lower it.

I wanted to improve the handling (original shocks wound up being shot anyway) and also wanted to improve the stance so I did the mod. I wound up doing it myself. Took some time but learned alot and saved my self a few $$.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:30 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Check underneath the chin. If it is scrapped, think about how much worse that would be if the car was an inch lower. For sure if you lower the car, keep a keen eye out the dips and swales. Crossing them at a 45° angle helps keep the chin off the pavement.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:48 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Default +1 Bilstein HD's & H&R Greens, based on threads here

Originally Posted by bwoodry
Call Steve Weiner at Rennsport systems,, he can give you great advice..

I lowered mine using H& R greens and Bilsteins , love it,,,
Mine are on the way. A used set of greens, purchased from a fellow Rennlister, are sitting on the kitchen island.

Thanks to all who suggested I wait until I could afford the struts/shocks before installing the springs. Pleasant surprise of needing only a single piston instead of a whole set of pistons and cylinders made room in the budget.

RE: to lower or not, I can't wait to get mine down out of the air, at least a little.

For looks, if nothing else.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on LOWER!

I have the full-on H&R "kit" which is just Bilstein HD's and H&R blacks - adjustable ride height - good handling - still streetable and MUCH MUCH MUCH better looking.

The NA ride is NOT what Porsche intended - it's merely to meet bumper height requirements. So really - you've spent 9 years at the WRONG ride height!

Get on it man!

RK
Old 09-23-2009, 05:21 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Default PM sent

Originally Posted by rvermilye
I've had a 94 964C4 since 2000. Stock wheels and height. I've always thought about lowering the car but have never done it. Any suggestions? When I looked into it early on after getting the car the local Porsche guy suggested to leave it as it was. Can anyone give me ideas of what they've done and to theirs?
Thanks
Please see my PM I sent you.

Quick Reply: 94 964C4:Should I lower it