Sponsored by:

JUST A LITTLE LOUD...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:54 AM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default JUST A LITTLE LOUD...

So I got my car a few months ago now. It had a nice rumble when I got it and believed it to be stock. So I decided to pick up a secondary bypass recently to liven things up a little. Well I got under there and realized I already had a primary bypass. My first thought was "well...clearly I should have checked this out sooner". My second thought was "F it...lets check this out".

Wow...um...a little loud. I'm good with it...not sure how the family (wife) will like it. I'm more nervous about the neighbors. I sort of idle out the neighborhood but let it rip when I'm out. Sounds really nice. Makes ordering from drive throughs a little more challenging though. Looks like I'll be keeping the stock Cat for sure now.

Got the car cleaned up while I was screwing around. Trying to get ready for the PCA "Escape to Dayton" in a couple weeks. Well...off to shower and head over to the Dayton Concours. 100% chance of rain but if folks are nice enough to put there cars out in the stuff who am I to whine.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:45 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wondered what that noise was that woke me up this morning.

That, I thought, sounds like an unsilenced 964 half way around the world...
Old 09-20-2009, 02:55 PM
mojo747
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the secondary bypass on mine and was pleasantly surprised that it was a little louder than how the online video sounded. The online video of the primary and secondary combined was obnoxious! If it is louder in the flesh too, your going to be drawing swarms of tuners even more than you probably already do.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!
Old 09-20-2009, 04:13 PM
DCIdevil
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nine11
WOT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!
I see what you did there
Old 09-20-2009, 04:41 PM
PNine64
Pro

Yeah...sorry John...that was me.

Mojo...I would say that it does sound a bit louder in person. At first it is a bit shocking but I think I may get used to it. Then again...everything seems be getting quieter. Is that bad...?

Hey Nine11...maybe this will work out really well on drives with the wife. Ah...it's all starting to come together now.

The Concours was nice. Not much for Porsches but had a variety of other beautiful (and wet) cars. Of course I forgot to bring a camera. John Dixon brought what I believe they call "Death" to the show. It is a chopped and lowered VW. Ok...so you have an image in your mind...about half way through the following thread there is a guy trying to squeeze into the thing. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=234507 The Taj Ma Garaj they toured in that thread is where one of the events for the Dayton Escape is supposed to take place. Interesting read...
Old 09-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PNine64

Hey Nine11...maybe this will work out really well on drives with the wife. Ah...it's all starting to come together now.
Now you know why so many of us love these cars!
Old 09-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to spend some time searching the forums on this matter. There is a school of thought that says - BOTH primary and secondary removed LOWERS HP and Torque.

Did you swap HP for noise? Do you care? Maybe not. But good to have made an informed decision.

RK
Old 09-23-2009, 04:46 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

[this thread in general]
Old 09-23-2009, 04:51 PM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

tried that combo--for about 5 seconds. It sounded like a Harley on crack.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:52 PM
PNine64
Pro

Originally Posted by Rally Guy
You might want to spend some time searching the forums on this matter. There is a school of thought that says - BOTH primary and secondary removed LOWERS HP and Torque.

Did you swap HP for noise? Do you care? Maybe not. But good to have made an informed decision.

RK
Yup...read plenty of conflicting information in the hundreds of threads trying to definitively answer this mystery of the modern world. My statistical assessment of the various data points has convinced me IT IS LOUD MAN!!!

Just kidding. No...most of the threads say I've either kept the same hp/torque or improved. Do I care...I guess the only thing that would have bothered me is if I had tools, had bypass, and didn't take the couple of minutes to check out what it what have sounded like. That would have been a violation of "man code code of conduct".

So for those doing the research...butt dyno says at least 35 hp in the low to mid range with improved torque through 9K rpm. I'm hoping for more power after I change out my blinker fluid this weekend. Will provide revised dyno numbers later.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:49 PM
amr89c4
Pro

Through 9K....Ok.

Quick Reply: JUST A LITTLE LOUD...