Sponsored by:

What else do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 02:03 PM
rcarpen22
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What else do I need?

Hi all. I searched and read about 20 oil leak threads but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I am about to adjust the valves on a '90 C2 and I'm ordering parts. Obviously, I will get valve cover gaskets but what other gaskets/seals should I go ahead and buy to replace while I have access. I'm just looking for the low hanging fruit so I'll have the parts on hand. Specific leak issues can be addressed later.
Thanks
Old 09-18-2009, 02:25 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

-save figuring out what you need & buy the valve-setting parts kit
-special gap measuring tool,
-some extra little cam cover spark wire clips (if existing are broken)
-oil filter + oil (+ 2 crush seals)
(DOH!)
Edit
-new spark plugs/rotors/caps - but, of course!

...ummm...
-new 02 sensor?
-cat bolts + gasket? (though they're probably already in your valve-setting kit)
-little "in-lb" torque wrench?

Last edited by elbeee964; 09-18-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

+1 to Lonnie's list.

You may want to check the condition of your spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires
Old 09-18-2009, 02:59 PM
rcarpen22
Racer

Great, thanks! What's the best place to get the parts kit? I was planning on getting the special feeler gauge and extra blades, but if it all comes in a kit, that's a winner.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

There are many "favorite" sources. I purchased mine from EBS Racing. The valve adjustment kit came with the valve cover gaskets, catalytic converter gasket and bolts. The feeler gauge, oil filter and drain plug crush washers are separate.

Others prefer Pelican or Sunset.

No affiliations.

Edit: One more helpful thing to have is Adrian's book. It describes the procedure very well. If you don't have it, its a great resource for this and many other projects.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:35 PM
rcarpen22
Racer

Thanks!
PS, the silhouette graphic in your sig is awesome. I watched the spoiler go up and down like 5 times.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:04 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil leaks could be coming from several sources:

Could be damaged or warped valve/cam covers. A 25 cent size area just disintegrated on one of mine. If in good shape, have them planed at a machine shop while they're off. Well worth the cost! Some guys here have used a sheet of glass and wet/dry sandpaper. Spend the $ with the machinist. Or go for a set of billet aluminum (like those I just ordered from Tarret). In either case, follow torque recommendations (i.e. use a torque wrench! - calibrated to the recommended low torque setting for these small nuts). Uneven or overtightening will make them leak. And no RTV sealant! Just coat with silicone paste to allow the seals to move with expansion/contraction.

Oil can also come past the rocker shafts into the areas that are not covered by the valve/cam covers. Installing the racing o-rings in the grooves on the ends of the shafts will stop this. Depending on who installed them, it might not be impossible to remove the shafts and install these rings with the motor in, just nearly impossible + some luck in the orientation of the rocker shaft pinch bolt small ends. If they all face the accessible openings, it could be done. i probably wouldn't try it.

Finally, if a pre 11/90 car, you might not have the head gasket update (mine hasn't) and could be getting some leaks between the heads and cylinders (mine have never leaked through three rebuilds). I think this is just a wet-to-touch type leak though, not a dripping wet leak.

Gopd luck.

Quick Reply: What else do I need?