Sponsored by:

Door doesn't latch

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 03:01 PM
nevinreilly
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door doesn't latch

Having a problem with the passenger door not wanting to latch or, if it does, popping open when I hit bumps...even small ones. The mechanism on the door rotates but often doesn't catch when the opening is turned down, as it should be when it hits the striker. Locking the door doesn't help keep it closed when it does close.

I removed the door panel yesterday and played with it and after a dozen or so rotations by hand it did catch and is currently closed. However, it doesn't catch nearly as easy as the driver door when I rotate it by hand. Nothing seems wrong physically. It could probably stand to be lubed but it does move very freely. Even though it is currently shut I don't trust that the problem is actually fixed and am wary of driving it. I do not believe it is a door alignment or striker problem and the handles both work fine.

Any suggestions on things to look for before I remove the assembly from the door? Any tips on actually removing the assembly from the door? It looks like a pretty painful operation.

Appreciate any help.

Nevin
Old 09-08-2009, 04:35 PM
964speed
Pro

I had the same problem. I took the door part and including the window frame out all in a effort to get to actual latching mechanism. Once I had that removed I notice that it would not reset - making the either pop open or not lock. I used some liquid gease and tapped in with a hammer. which freed up locking and resetting mechanism. It took a about 2 hours all said and done. I will see if I can find some pics...

The door works perfectly now.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:41 AM
nevinreilly
2nd Gear

Thanks - pics would be great. I was hoping not to have to remove the window frame. Think it might be possible to lubricate and strike it a few times like you did without actually removing it?

Also, I did pick up a used replacement on Ebay for $20 and it works fine so I could simply replace it if I do remove the assembly.

Quick Reply: Door doesn't latch