Sponsored by:

Stock Shocks on H&R Greens?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 07:01 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Shocks on H&R Greens?

I've read all the posts I can find, but.....

I just bought a set of Greens for my 89 C4 because I couldn't pass up the price (Thanks DWS964!!!!!). I am going through the engine, so I don't have the $$$ for new Bilsteins just now. They're next, but who knows when.

Can anyone tell me if I can temporarily slip the Greens over the existing standard struts/shocks without problems.

Doesn't seem to make sense that I could, since the Greens supposedly lower the car to ROW height (+/-). How could one strut/shock work for both ride heights, unless they have excessive travel capability? I know it would double the work to put the springs on now and the shocks on later, but I'm just anxious to have the thing lowered when it comes off the jack stands.

Has anyone put on, let's say a nice, expensive set of coilovers and have a decent set of struts/shocks (pre-Aug. 90 part #) laying around that you need to get off your garage floor? (I'm not too proud to beg, am I?)
Old 09-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Jonnygo1
Pro

I've got reds on the stock shocks as an interim step. The car is fine for street use IMO.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

JMHO, but H&R's with stock Monroe/Boge shocks (especially worn ones) is a poor match and I'd suggest you wait until you can afford a set of Bilstein HD's for decent handling.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:47 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
JMHO, but H&R's with stock Monroe/Boge shocks (especially worn ones) is a poor match and I'd suggest you wait until you can afford a set of Bilstein HD's for decent handling.
+1 and throw in a proper alignment afterwards. The spring swap is not overly simple to begin with, especially the rears. Better to just do it all at once.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:27 AM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do it, but not worth the trouble of doing all the work and then end up with a poor ride.

Just save up and do the shocks and the springs at the same time and go for a good alignment.

Its worth it to do it all at once.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:44 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the "all at once". I sat on a set of HR Greens for a while, as you may want to also invest in a proper set of swaybars. What Steve didn't mention above is that he has a very good setup recommendation with the right swaybars, and he helped me with the right parts, and the correct alignment after the swap. I now have H+RGreens, with Bilsteins, and a very neutral feeling setup on the car. It no longer has the huge understeer of a C4, but is neutral and a real joy to drive, at RS ride height. Its a different car. I encourage you to ask Steve about it...

I wouldn't want to do the labor more than once....
Old 09-03-2009, 02:57 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Thanks everyone. Just what I was hoping for, some great advice from enthusiasts with experience.

I'll just work a little harder to squeeze that extra $800-900 out of the pipeline!

Quick Reply: Stock Shocks on H&R Greens?