Sponsored by:

The Bumpin' Pumpkin - The tale of one 964's rebuild

Old 09-16-2009, 10:34 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default A/C line re-route?

Roadsleeper,
Thanks for the feedback, and again thanks for sharing your project with us. I'm sure may of us live vicariously through you, designing our own "dream" 964, so when we see your pictures we think... what about this, can you do that, how would this look, etc. A 964 taken to the 200% level!

I've PhotoChopped the A/C diagram to give people a better idea of what I mean? For a stock car, it probably wouldn't be worth it, but for a "dream" 964 it might be something to think about?

So A/C experts out there... is it as simple as straightening/cutting some metal tubes, getting longer hoses and routing everything around the throttle bodies?
Attached Images   
Old 09-23-2009, 06:35 AM
roadsleeper
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Roadsleeper,
Thanks for the feedback, and again thanks for sharing your project with us. I'm sure may of us live vicariously through you, designing our own "dream" 964, so when we see your pictures we think... what about this, can you do that, how would this look, etc. A 964 taken to the 200% level!

I've PhotoChopped the A/C diagram to give people a better idea of what I mean? For a stock car, it probably wouldn't be worth it, but for a "dream" 964 it might be something to think about?

So A/C experts out there... is it as simple as straightening/cutting some metal tubes, getting longer hoses and routing everything around the throttle bodies?
Hmmm, this looks like something I'm going to have to KIV for the future... Great idea though!
Old 09-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by roadsleeper
Hmmm, this looks like something I'm going to have to KIV for the future... Great idea though!
If I recall correctly, the AC lines on a 964 turbo are routed in a similar fashion to get around the cooler. Something to look into and it would be OEM.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:35 AM
roadsleeper
Racer

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
If I recall correctly, the AC lines on a 964 turbo are routed in a similar fashion to get around the cooler. Something to look into and it would be OEM.
That's a good point, I'll check it out, thanks!
Old 09-25-2009, 10:41 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Busta Rib

Here's a picture...
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2009, 12:25 PM
roadsleeper
Racer

Default Suspension...

The end of another week, another round of photos:

It's amazing how well dirty suspension components can clean up...

... soon to get dirtied up again.

The Bilstein / H&R coilovers had to be set to their lowest settings because the car weighs so little.

Brand spanking new OEM 993 GT2 Evo wheel carriers fitted. These look chunkier than the OEM steel wheel carriers but are a great deal lighter because they are aluminum.

The wheel carriers from another angle, showing the correct mounting points for the Big Red brake calipers

A wheel carrier with a brake disc mounted, you can see the large bolts for the brake calipers sticking out on the right.

A shot of the rear suspension components in place.

A close-up shot of the adjustable rear spring plates.

A shot of the semi-trailing arm.

Everything coming together...
Old 09-26-2009, 10:45 AM
ABQ Slim
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love this thread. Thanks so much for sharing the project with us.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:43 PM
frankvan
Pro

Just looking back at your exhaust pictures (page 2) - is there ANY sound deadening material in that "track" exhaust or are they just straight pipes (really short and loud straight pipes!?)? The street exhaust itself is probably pretty loud too. And no requirement for cat's in Singapore?

Would love to hear a sound clip of both exhaust setups! (post to Youtube?)
Old 09-27-2009, 02:32 PM
luisimo
Instructor

Love this thread, please, oh please do not stop posting!
Old 09-28-2009, 03:56 AM
roadsleeper
Racer

Originally Posted by frankvan
Just looking back at your exhaust pictures (page 2) - is there ANY sound deadening material in that "track" exhaust or are they just straight pipes (really short and loud straight pipes!?)? The street exhaust itself is probably pretty loud too. And no requirement for cat's in Singapore?

Would love to hear a sound clip of both exhaust setups! (post to Youtube?)
Nope, those are straight pipes directly off the headers... and it's LOUD. The best part is that you get foot long flames coming out the rear on the overrun

The street exhaust is relatively quiet, it sounds a lot like a 930 with the volume turned up slightly. There are emissions requirements for Singapore, but not for cars of a certain age, and if they weren't equipped from the factory with cats.

Stay tuned for videos in a future installment, I'm saving the best for later
Old 09-28-2009, 05:47 AM
ACSGP
Pro

"Brand spanking new OEM 993 GT2 Evo wheel carriers fitted. These look chunkier than the OEM steel wheel carriers but are a great deal lighter because they are aluminum."

Were these simply a bolt on mod to the 964 chassis, or were adaptors required? So they reduce unsprung weight too?
Old 09-28-2009, 08:49 AM
roadsleeper
Racer

Originally Posted by ACSGP
"Brand spanking new OEM 993 GT2 Evo wheel carriers fitted. These look chunkier than the OEM steel wheel carriers but are a great deal lighter because they are aluminum."

Were these simply a bolt on mod to the 964 chassis, or were adaptors required? So they reduce unsprung weight too?
Yes, they are effectively a "plug and play" installation to the front suspension components themselves, not the chassis. They eliminate the need for adaptors if you have a set of Big Red brakes.

These wheel carriers most certainly do reduce unsprung weight (and reduce bump steer), although this will become magnified when I get my track wheels.

A lower cost (and more readily available) alternative is to source 993 wheel carriers. My understanding is that these are also made of aluminum (not sure what the key design differences are), but they reduce unsprung weight by 18kg per side. This is mentioned on page 154 of "Porsche 911 - Celebration of a Legend" (a special edition Porsche 911 specific issue of Total 911, I got mine at Kino in Taka).

That sounds like a lot of weight though, so I wonder if they may have gotten the carriers confused with the 993 GT2 Evo ones... If you are keen on this, you might want to drop LA Porsche Dismantlers an e-mail and ask them if they'd be kind enough to compare the weights of a 964 and 993 wheel carrier. Worth looking into!
Old 09-30-2009, 06:13 AM
roadsleeper
Racer

Default Transmission

In celebration of getting over the hump (and getting my car back from the workshop), here is a mid-week update:

One of the biggest bug bears I had with my original car was the fact that it had the infamous "Sputnik" all wheel drive system (a.k.a., the G64/00 transmission) so one of the earliest decisions made (in terms of priority modifications) was that I wanted two wheel drive.

It would have made sense to purchase a G50/-03 or -05 from a 964, but the cost of acquiring one was very close to that of acquiring a G50/21. Unwilling to make the stretch to acquire a G50/30 from PMS, I found a G50/21 out of a 993 that had been refurbished and was ready to be shippped at a good price, so I sprung for it.

I will throw in my subjective $0.02 here and say that for those 964 C4 or Tiptronic owners who are looking for tangible performance gains from their cars, changing your gearbox to a G50/03/05/21 will deliver you huge value for money. I would even go so far as to say that if I were to go do everything over again, I would probably have had my engine rebuilt, with intake, chip and exhaust (and maybe cams) being the key modifications along with a G50/21. This would have given me around 280hp and a perfectly matched gearbox that would have been geared correctly for city and highway driving.

As it stands now, the stock G50/21 gears are a bit too long from 1st to 5th for my engine, so some custom gears are somewhere on the horizon.

Anyway, enough of that, on to some photos:

The person who rebuilt this gearbox did a stellar job, not just mechanically, but it was so clean you could have also eaten off the casing! All we did was fill it with transmission fluid and bolt it up to the engine...

Again, super clean rebuild... One thing to bear in mind if you are planning to do this upgrade is that you need the correct driveshafts! The G64/00 driveshafts will not fit (and they are too skinny), the G50/52 driveshafts are too long unless you have a widebody, etc. so do your research.

This mates up to...

... this, and houses all of this:

Lightweight flywheel

Sachs sports clutch

Sachs pressure plate

The gearbox mounted into place. The only problem we ran into here is that the mounting points on the transmission mount had to be milled down slightly
Old 09-30-2009, 09:56 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Old 09-30-2009, 12:23 PM
FJS951
6th Gear

Great thread and keep posting . awesome stuff

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Bumpin' Pumpkin - The tale of one 964's rebuild