Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simply AWESOME! Motivational!
Old 09-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by roadsleeper
- Yes, OEM 964 oil pump. Need to check, but if I recall correctly, we went this route because the 3.8 RS came with the same pump from the factory

- It'll come later, I'm already 1 size up from the 964 C2 MC with the C4's MC, but the 993 CRS MC is the goal... buying that requires more moolah. Also, I had thought about upgrading the entire system to 993 spec, but that introduces ABD into the mix. This will end up somewhat of a hybrid between a 964 C2 (ABS brain), 964 C4 (hydraulic system), 944T (ABS wiring harness) and 993 CRS (MC).

- Because of Singapore's car ownership regime, it's very difficult to 1) find a 964 (I looked for 5 years), and 2) I wanted an accident free starting point

Gotcha. Over here a 993 m/c is actually cheaper than a 964 C2/C4.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your mechanic needs to come up with that a/c kit for sale. Looks very nice.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:30 AM
roadsleeper
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck
Your mechanic needs to come up with that a/c kit for sale. Looks very nice.
Something I keep telling him... I suppose if people are interested in such a kit, PM me and I'll try to help put something together. Bear in mind, this A/C system does not have a heat function at all whatsoever.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:08 AM
roadsleeper
Racer

Some random photos of the interior cause I'm bored:

I was in LA last November, so I thought I'd pack my gauges and drop them off at North Hollywood Speedometer to get them refurbished. While the owner was not around, the guys there were extremely helpful (one of them even took me on a tour of the place!).

My gauges were in pretty good shape to start off with, with only minor fogging / dirt on the inside of the glass, and 1 disfunctional gauge (oil pressure), so there was not much to be done there aside from cleaning and replacing of any burnt out light bulbs. Sadly my dreams of fitting the gauges with LEDs was not meant to be as there is not enough space inside the 3.2 Carrera, 964 and 993 gauge assemblies.

I did make 2 special requests, the first was to have the tachometer modified to the 8,000 rpm version, and the second was to have the odometer zero-ed out... Now before I don my flamesuit and field the complaints of the pundits out there, the final mileage on my car pre-rebuild was 110,512 km, and this is a ground up rebuild, so I felt that it was more fitting to start with a clean odometer reading. Besides this, I intend to make a brass plaque with the original specs of the car on it that will be mounted somewhere in the car... just need to find somewhere that makes brass plaques...

Radio blank-off panel, next to custom A/C control panel... Yes, the faux carbon fiber is Chuck E. Cheese-y, the panels were finished that way without me knowing. I intend to have them recovered in vinyl to match the dash as closely as possible.

Something interesting to note is that there is a lot of orange peeking out from under the dash trim. For those of you planning on doing a full body respray, you will notice that the body area under the front dash, and along the rear parts of the cabin, are finished in matte black from the factory. Something I hadn't accounted for during the respray process was that the interior fit and finish of the aircooleds was perhaps not as tight as Herr Porsche would've liked, and the simplest solution to that was to spray the areas where body panels could potentially peek through with matte black paint. So remember to do this!

Of note, the extra control **** hole to the right of the rear foglight switch is now covered, the cigarette lighter is in the midst of being replaced and the error clear and central locking switches in the center console have been replace with blanks.

The view out the perspex rear window and through the Heigo half cage. I wanted to keep the look as "Cup Car"-esque as possible, which has been achieved with the wiring neatly criss-crossing the rear of the cabin. However, we had to add some duct tape to various places because fuel fumes were seeping in and I was getting very, very high off of them...

A sideways view of the interior through the smudgy perspex quarterlights. The harnesses / harness bar can be seen in this shot, along with some of the mounting points for the half cage.

If you look closely, you will see the mounting brackets for the rear seats still exist in my car. If you are doing something similar and plan to be uber-**** about trimming as much weight off your car, you can cut these brackets (along with the trim piece brackets) off! I would imagine that all the metal brackets trimmed off would yield at least 500g of weight savings... Or just skip the burger at lunch...
Old 09-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Porscheless in Vegas
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holy **** Man! That is awesome!

You just inspired me to go out to the Las Vegas strip and play some craps or some random high-limit table games! I think my 401K savings will have better odds at the MGM than this economy.

Another option is to drive down to the CA stateline and buy me some lottery tickets!

Porsche or not, that is some pretty wild attention to detail in car tinkering that any gearhead will salivate over!

This thread is like crack!
Old 09-14-2009, 02:19 AM
roadsleeper
Racer

Ha ha, sorry, I had to...
Old 09-14-2009, 08:05 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Holy crap...what a rebuild you have. It looks wicked so far. Can't wait to see it completed.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:45 AM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

What a delight to see this project !
Old 09-15-2009, 04:58 AM
roadsleeper
Racer

Default Engine pr0n

Aside from the work that has gone into the bodyshell of this car, the engine is perhaps the most mind-blowing part of this build, and it is an absolutely key part of how the entire story fits together. The basis of this build was really to follow the spirit of the 964 Carrera Cup cars in terms of handling, but to throw more power into the mix, around 90hp more in fact...

As mentioned in previous posts, the engine has been entirely rebuilt using only the original crankcase and crankshaft. Everything else is effectively new, and better than the part it replaces. One of the neatest parts about the engine is the individual throttle body set up, which makes the car look like it has carburetors, but more importantly let's an enormous amount of air volume to enter the combustion chamber. That's great from a power perspective, but perhaps the best part is the sound that it makes when the car takes that huge gulp of air. Those of you who have attended Skip Barber's racing school... it gives "YUNGA" a whole new meaning...

Some pics and more commentary below:

A shot of the engine when everything is finally hooked up and (almost) ready to go.

One of the first things people ask (if they've looked inside an aircooled 911's engine before) is "where did all the stuff in the middle go, and what are those shiny bits at the back?". The shiny bits are a SARD race spec fuel pressure regulator mounted on a custom bracket, and a custom oil catch can (which needs a bit of tweaking because it current spits out more oil than it catches...).

Spot the difference? This is a shot of the engine with the rain guards on the PMOs and the airconditioning components in place.

We're trying to put together cotton-wrapped mesh covers for the intake trumpets (like they used to put on race cars back in the day) for trackdays, so keep an eye out for those photos in the near future.

The brains behind it all... Motec M600 standalone engine management system, with its knock sensor hanging out on the car floor next to it.

This is still a work in progress as we are still fine tuning the mapping. Eventually I hope for there to be a dash mounted switch to toggle between race, Singapore (high grade) and Malaysia (lower grade) fuels; a mount for a Motec data display (detachable); and couple of additional sensors such as exhaust temperature (the intake temperature sensor is already installed), oil temperature, battery level, etc.

Stay tuned for more!
Old 09-15-2009, 05:11 AM
PaulW_964
Pro

Wow, inspirational!!
Old 09-15-2009, 01:28 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default A/C lines

"where did all the stuff in the middle go,
This is a great time to ask a question (there's room to actually see the engine in this case), can the A/C lines be routed in a different way in the engine bay?

I don't like how 964 lines run diagonally through the engine bay. 993 A/C lines are different, and run over the fan shroud and then around the side of the engine bay. With some different brackets, could the A/C lines be run like the picture below? This would clean up the throttle body area even more...

Cars like this really get your mind to start running with ideas... it must have been an incredible experience working with such talented people on this project!
Attached Images  
Old 09-15-2009, 02:29 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

very nice
Old 09-15-2009, 02:45 PM
MortenKoch
Advanced

I just saw this thread for the first time. It is truly an amazing project. Something I would never have the guts to do, but I really admire people like you who do it - and do it right!

You have my deepest respect - well done!
Old 09-16-2009, 03:39 AM
roadsleeper
Racer

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
This is a great time to ask a question (there's room to actually see the engine in this case), can the A/C lines be routed in a different way in the engine bay?

I don't like how 964 lines run diagonally through the engine bay. 993 A/C lines are different, and run over the fan shroud and then around the side of the engine bay. With some different brackets, could the A/C lines be run like the picture below? This would clean up the throttle body area even more...

Cars like this really get your mind to start running with ideas... it must have been an incredible experience working with such talented people on this project!
Wow, you are really good with Photochop! I had to sit there for a second and think when I'd posted a photo of the engine bay with the rain guards on, and the A/C lines out...

I agree, the A/C lines do clutter up the engine bay a bit, but positioning them as you described requires longer lines and new fittings, among other things. My priority is getting the entire car running at 100% before I start fiddling again... I am dying to take it for a road trip of some sort! Once that's done, I'll contemplate sprucing up the engine bay, but one of the first things I need to do will be to get that catch can to quit spitting out and greasing up the engine bay before doing anything else.

Quick Reply: The Bumpin' Pumpkin - The tale of one 964's rebuild