Spare wheel / space saver is very tight fit

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:04 AM
wagonface
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare wheel / space saver is very tight fit

Hi,

I've only had my 964T for 2 weeks, but wanted to check I can sort things out if I get a puncture (or my wife would seriously take the mickey out of me), so I went through all the bits last night. I have got all the tools, but I was wondering about the fit of the space saver / spare wheel in the front compartment. Mine is really tight. I realise it should be a snug fit, but mine is so tight that its a struggle to get it in/out, and the tyre gets 3 flat spots where it is compressed against the ABS, battery and fuel tank wall.

I know the previous owner had to use it once and I suspect he didnt deflate it properly. I deflated it as best I could last night by simply pressing the pin in the valve.

Can anyone advise on how to deflate it? There are two valves on the wheel - a normal one and a funny looking short one.

Thanks for any help, Josh
Old 08-26-2009, 08:19 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I've had to use my spare twice. Each time, it was a challenge to get the spare put back in the car. The trick is to completely deflate the tire. If you have all the air removed, the tire will fit in the wheel well snugly but its not hard to insert nor remove.

Edit: To deflate, I pressed the pin in the normal tire valve stem. I'd then try to insert the tire into the trunk, if it didn't fit, I'd deflate more. Eventually, the tire would be small enough to fit. I'm not sure what the "other" valve stem is for.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:17 AM
wagonface
Instructor

Thanks Rob - the manual mentions 'completely removing' some sort of valve, but its as clear as mud. Lets see if anyone else has a magic solution.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:35 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Use a rope, or a strap, to wrap around the tire. Tie it off. Take a stick, or a screw driver and twist the rope like a twist tie until tight. Depress the valve stem and twist the rope as tight as you can to press out all of the air.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:09 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This reminds me of the time I had just bought mine...I took the spare out...thought it was flat....pumped it up...and then found it wouldn't go back in.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:53 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wagonface
Hi,

I've only had my 964T for 2 weeks, but wanted to check I can sort things out if I get a puncture (or my wife would seriously take the mickey out of me), so I went through all the bits last night. I have got all the tools, but I was wondering about the fit of the space saver / spare wheel in the front compartment. Mine is really tight. I realise it should be a snug fit, but mine is so tight that its a struggle to get it in/out, and the tyre gets 3 flat spots where it is compressed against the ABS, battery and fuel tank wall.

I know the previous owner had to use it once and I suspect he didnt deflate it properly. I deflated it as best I could last night by simply pressing the pin in the valve.

Can anyone advise on how to deflate it? There are two valves on the wheel - a normal one and a funny looking short one.

Thanks for any help, Josh
in my last ride I never ran with a spare & in my 964 ....frankly will not consider doing a spare tire "change".
I carry a can of sealant - compressed air and for emergencies a bicycle pump (much lighter than porsche pump)....
Was actually going to do spare tire delete until I was (kindly informed) spare is part of porsche crash test - frontal - set up, so will leave it in place but never to be used!
Old 08-26-2009, 07:27 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

The spare is part of the impact crush zone so its a good idea to let it ride with you.

It is a snug little thing to wedge in there. At the Concours I hate having to take it out in a hurry with out scratching anything while 15 people watch.

I have both 15" and 16" versions and both are about the same difficulty to wedge in there.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:39 PM
dan79brooklyn
Advanced

I had to use the spacesaver spare last month. It works fine.
It is a tight fit to get it back in the trunk but it does fit.
Worst part is waiting for it to pump up to 36psi with the dinky compressor, took like half an hour!
Old 08-27-2009, 12:12 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

BTW you're breaking the Rennlist 964 forum rules by not posting pics of your new 964T yet
Old 08-27-2009, 12:36 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

The 16" spare won't fit over my front brakes. If I get a flat in the front I may have to replace it with a rear wheel (and put the spare in the back), but that will definitely produce some clearance issues (18x10, 265/35/18). The idea is to be able to limp to a repair shop. I probably can pull it off, as long as I go only in a straight line and don't do any turns.

I carry a can of fix-a-flat just to make me feel good. The low profile tires many of us are running the sidewall will be chewed up beyond repair in case of a flat tire in which can the can of goo will be useless.

I hope this made you all feel better
Old 08-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If your front brakes are too big for the space saver tire, then purchase a 1" bolt-on spacer and carry that along with you in the trunk. I have 332 mm front rotors and have to use the 1" spacer to get the spare to fit, which it does. The spacer stores neatly on top of the spare tire in trunk when not in use. You'll also have to buy and carry 5 steel lug nuts to bolt down the spacer. Bottom line is that this approach works well and stores well.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:59 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Good to know, thanks for the heads up
Old 08-27-2009, 01:06 PM
wagonface
Instructor

Originally Posted by boxsey911
BTW you're breaking the Rennlist 964 forum rules by not posting pics of your new 964T yet
Apologies - I posted it in the Turbo section (does that make me a snob?). Here you go, towards the bottom of the page.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:50 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, it is a challenge to fully deflate the tire and the fit is snug. I put the tire on the ground, wrapped it with a strong trailer strap, pressed the pin in the shrader valve, and then cranked the strap down really tight which forced the last bit of air out.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Spare wheel / space saver is very tight fit