Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monday recovery for sure!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009 | 12:08 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Default Monday recovery for sure!

well, I had way too much beer yesterday. Spent the day at a car show- mainly muscle cars there, but there was a class for Foreign/Sport Compact- all years. I entered the Posche in that class, and TOOK 3rd!!! first time for the car since I've owned it. The class winner was a Merc 220. I didn't see the car, but was thrilled to get a class award. Afterward, we celebrated with a fire in the back yard, and pizza and more beer

So not much else. I took some pics, but left the dang card at home in the camera. Pics later on.
Old 08-24-2009 | 12:26 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

I had a very productive and tiring weekend too. Saturday was spent doing a valve adjustment and changing out the ignition wires on my coupe. I struggled with a rusty fastener on the cat heat shield. I ended up using a hack saw to get it off. Grrr..... The valve adjustment went well (my first 911 adjustment). I have experience with many VW and 914's. I had them for 20 years. I tried using the VAS 911 screw driver. I ended up preferring to do it by feel with the feeler gauge. Getting to the intake valves is a PITA. I also had a hard time turning over the engine. My friend and I both had difficulty. I had removed the spark plugs and was surprised at how difficult it was to turn the engine with the fan belt pulley. It wasn't until I was on the 4th cylinder, did I realize the car was in gear and the parking brake was on. Once we took the car out of gear, the crankshaft turned easily. Doh! By the end of the day, my back was very tired.

Changing the spark plug wires was a lot harder than I expected. The wires crossing the fan shroud were difficult. I had to loosen the plenum to get the center hold down clips off. I also realized that my cap and rotors needed to be changed and I didn't order new ones. I placed an order this morning.

The end of the day, I have the valves finished and the rocker covers in place. I didn't install the spark plugs yet. My spark plug socket didn't have a detent on it and I was worried that the socket would get stuck inside the engine. I went to Sears and picked up a proper one on Sunday. While there, I picked up a couple new vice grips and other new tools. Is it just me, or is it hard to go into a tool department and only buy one thing?

Sunday - I ran errands with my girlfriend and caught up on life (laundry etc).

Note: While pulling the rear wheels off the car to adjust the valves, I discovered my tires were rubbing the inside wheel well and/or oil line. I felt like I was going faster at my last DE event, I guess I was. I ordered some 4mm spacers and steel lug nuts with my morning's parts order.
Old 08-24-2009 | 12:35 PM
deep_uv
RIP

I determined thankfully that my problem was the battery and not the alternator. Woohoo! New battery in yesterday afternoon. Easy fix.

Rob, agreed on Sears, I can't get out of there without spending at least $100.
Old 08-24-2009 | 01:27 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

I replaced brakes all the way around on the GF's Denali on saturday. That wasnt hard at all. Spent yesterday out at my river property riding around on my tractor dragging the bush hog. I cant believe all the baby gators that are in my pond this summer. You would think i was running a gator farm
Didnt do much Porsche driving.
Old 08-24-2009 | 03:49 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

I received my calipers to be rebuilt. After a thorough scrubbing to see what I was working with, they look surprisingly good. That evaluation was made after prolonged use of brake cleaner in a confined area.

Since everything looks good it is time to order seals, dust boots, and paint. EVERY Porsche project seems to need new tools from Sears or the likes.

Took the pcar out Sunday. Everything worked flawlessly. I love it when a plan comes together.
Old 08-24-2009 | 03:58 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Go to PePBoys. They sell the caliper paint in cans or spray. I used spray and they look as good now as they did almost 3 years ago. I put about 4 coats or more on each caliper then used high temp clear after putting the PORSCHE decal on.
Old 08-24-2009 | 04:01 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I have experience with many VW and 914's. I had them for 20 years. I tried using the VAS 911 screw driver. I ended up preferring to do it by feel with the feeler gauge.
Hi Rob,

I am glad you tried the VAS-911 to do your valve adjustment. I agree that using a feeler gauge in addition is necessary. I support the tool as both a way to speed up getting into the ballpark with the adjustment, and to holding the set screw in the right position when tightening the jam nut. In the early stages it also helps with learning the right "feel" with the gauge, as it is a sensory/subjective thing.

I would like to find a good feeler gauge tool to include in the kit. Do you have one you like?

Old 08-24-2009 | 04:21 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Do I like my feeler gauge? Its hard to say, as I've only done the process once. Did it work? Yes. Is it the best? Not sure. The feeler material was pretty bent up when I finished. I was thinking to myself that a dial indicator would be handy to double check my settings, when I was finished. Maybe I'm stuck in my old habits but I like using the feeler but hated how hard it was to get under the swivel foot when I was rechecking the clearance. On the VW's, it was easier. Hopefully, I will get better at this with practice.

For what its worth, this is the gauge I have. No affiliations.

http://www.paragon-products.com/product_p/p213.htm
Old 08-24-2009 | 04:22 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimq
Go to PePBoys. They sell the caliper paint in cans or spray. I used spray and they look as good now as they did almost 3 years ago. I put about 4 coats or more on each caliper then used high temp clear after putting the PORSCHE decal on.
Thanks! Do you have any pics?
Old 08-24-2009 | 04:31 PM
hawk911
Race Car

MAN- not one of you schmuchks commented on my class award? fine buncha guys you are.
Old 08-24-2009 | 04:40 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

I also use the feeler gauge linked by Rob, but I made modifications to it based upon one I saw at an Indy shop (see pic below). The guy said that he learned the mod at porsche mechanics school.

I also use a dial gauge and z-block and really like that method quite a lot. The z-block does not allow access to several of the valves due to clearance issues so the feeler gauge is used on those. I use the feeler and dial indicated on all of those that I can reach. Makes for a nice reinforcement of the feel of the feeler gauge method.
Attached Images    
Old 08-24-2009 | 04:47 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hawk911
MAN- not one of you schmuchks commented on my class award? fine buncha guys you are.
Sorry Geoff - congratulations. You had promised pictures, so I was waiting for the pictures to congratulate you.
Old 08-24-2009 | 04:49 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hawk911
You lost to a Merc. Shameful.

Old 08-24-2009 | 05:26 PM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
I also use the feeler gauge linked by Rob, but I made modifications to it based upon one I saw at an Indy shop (see pic below). The guy said that he learned the mod at porsche mechanics school.
Can you explain a bit more what is involved in this modification?

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2009 | 05:39 PM
hawk911
Race Car

The pics won't be of my car; just others at the show. I was parked next to a white Challenger and a blue Olds 442.

Quick Reply: Monday recovery for sure!