Sponsored by:

Oil Return Pipe Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 04:37 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil return tubes are bone dry.
Upon closer inspection, the oil is accumulating on the fins and bump circled in the picture - cylinder 5. There is also some oil accumulation on the front of cyl. 3 (the one closest to the CHT sensor).

On the bright side, the oil didn't continue to drip and there is actually no spot on my garage floor! A first in 5 years of ownership

As for the oil return tubes, they have a Porsche part no. on them. When I get home from work I'll look it up and post it.

I hope nobody minds me stealing their pictures (this one courtesy of mrmoots)

Last edited by frankvan; 06-28-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:58 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by frankvan
Oil return tubes are bone dry...
FANTASTIC!!! I'm hoping it's somewhat simple - and I'M REALLY HOPING IT'S SOMETHING REALLY SIMPLE!!!

Question for you..?? How far down did you take the engine? For example - you didn't disturb the cam carrier (cam housing), and/or you didn't replace any of the rocker arm shafts, or..??

Also - the Porsche Parts I've seen/used - again - are 2 piece returns, but it could well be that yours is "correct" - just haven't seen it??

.....On the bright side, the oil didn't continue to drip and there is actually no spot on my garage floor! A first in 5 years of ownership ...
OUTSTANDING!!!

Best to you!!

John
Old 09-05-2009, 05:51 PM
frankvan
Pro

Well, good news kind of...
The oil return tubes are dry and the engine cooling fins aren't wet anymore (must have been residual from who knows what).
But now my PS-camshaft seal has decided to leak. And I just got it all put back together. Of course, that seal was the one thing I didn't replace because it was dry when I replaced the belt (argh). It is a relatively easy task, I just hate getting that upper bolt on the muffler bracket - it's just in the wrong place for any sort of wrench to get in to.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:49 PM
frankvan
Pro

Oil return tube part no.
901-107-351-90
Can't find in PET or in Pelican. Original one piece return tubes have -01 instead of -90 at the end.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:55 PM
John D.
Banned

Ummm - that's a PMS part - not a Porsche part.. PMS makes some great stuff, but - on this return tube I have no first hand experience? So - that is when I was scratching my head

OK - so we need an update!! WHAT IS LEAKING or NOT??!!

Best to you!

John
Old 09-07-2009, 03:03 PM
frankvan
Pro

PMS part? Better not tell my wife that.
(OK, what is a PMS part?)
Tubes don't appear t be leaking. The only thing, so far, that seems to be leaking is the PS seal on the camshaft. Fluid on ground is brown not red and the PS fluid level is unchanged.
i'll have to wait til tomorrow to find out if local dealer has the seal in stock. I hate long weekends - can't order parts, can't trade equities, have to spend time with family and friends and beer (ok, so it's a draw )
Old 09-07-2009, 06:06 PM
John D.
Banned

PMS part? Better not tell my wife that.
(OK, what is a PMS part?).....
HA!! OK - PMS = Patrick Motorsports... I think you have their first version of this:
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/1254/

Anyway - that's great news about the last leaking part - even though there ARE easier ones to change out than the PS pump??!! HEH!!

Just home from work - you had the day off??? Dang - so did my wife... I need some new jobs

Best to you!!

John
Old 09-09-2009, 11:08 AM
frankvan
Pro

Well over in North America we have labour (or labor in the US) day on the first monday of september as a stat holiday. Pretty much everything shuts down except for Home Depot and Costco.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:37 AM
frankvan
Pro

Angry

OK, now i'm at wit's end.
replaced the oil seal on the PS/camshaft drive.
ran it (without second muffler) and it seemed dry. put everything back together (which for bolt access ranks up there with the starter motor).
went for a drive - bone dry still.
24 hours later oil dripping off heat exchanger from a drip from the PS housing. (and it's brown, not red so it is oil; not my blood or PS fluid).
This is where i go to the bmw dealer and start looking at those m3's....

Quick Reply: Oil Return Pipe Removal