Sponsored by:

Car photo tips for DSLR guys

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk911
Notice the detail now present in the seats.
You are showing two very different set ups in regards to the lighting .
To show the pola effect , the same same set up should be shot with / without and then with the pola rotated in steps between min and max .
Old 08-19-2009, 01:26 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agreed, but it was a quick attempt to show the effect. My example of the same angle, same lighting is on my 'puter at home and unaccessible.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:32 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Indycam
All pola filters rotate .
Non circular pola filters rotate .

A circular pola filter is a new type of pola filter that was made because some new cameras had sensors placed behind a mirror that had a pola affect on the light passing through the mirror . When the old linear pola filter was used on this type of camera the two crossed pole filters would become a N.D. (neutral density) filter . The light that would pass the first pola would only pass the 2nd pola if they were lined up . As soon as the 1st pola was rotated the polarized light would no longer pass the 2nd pola filter . So the sensor would be "in the dark" .

A circular polarizer is a old linear pola filter that has a "phase shift" filter behind it . The light passes through the pola filter , becomes "polarized" . And then the light goes through the phase shift filter , the phase shift filter takes the light that gets passed the pola and rotates the light rays so that the light coming out is no longer polarised .

http://www.nikonusa.com/Learn-And-Ex...age?appendix=C
"Circular Polarizing Filter
Converts linear polarized light waves to circular polarized light waves. Required whenever polarizing is desired using autofocus cameras and cameras that have semi-silvered reflex mirrors."

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/...dbook12_15.pdf
"Highly efficient standard circular polarizing filter for all cameras with beam splitters in the light paths of their TTL exposure meter and with autofocus lenses. Circular polarization has the same pictorial effect as linear polarization, but allows for proper exposure metering and/or autofocus distance settings."
you make it seem so simple
Old 08-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was a photographic equipment repair person for way to many years .
I know photographic trivia like you would not believe .

Seen this book ?
http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Technol.../dp/0122875702
Old 08-19-2009, 03:03 PM
hawk911
Race Car

have not seen the book. Looks like it would give me a headache though. I should find time to read; "the moment it clicks" is on my list also.

Quick Reply: Car photo tips for DSLR guys