Sponsored by:

Suspension uprades, best bang for the buck

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 11:13 PM
tdatk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension uprades, best bang for the buck

I'll be doing some suspension upgrades to my 90 C2 and would like some input as to what is the best bang for the buck on shocks/coilovers/sways? I will be using the car for driving to work and splitting time with my SC on the track. I'm open to hand me downs as well if someone is going to full time track and wants to unload parts.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:31 AM
mpeters951
Racer

I'd suggest best value compromise might be H&R 965 "Red" springs over Bilstein HD using SRP's road/track valving.

The commodity parts are dirt cheap @ the known suspects......shox.com, etc. SRP can re-valve the HD's for a song, and there you go. This can make a very good dual purpose sled, providing proper align/height/weight. Admittedly you are limited for height adjustment, but you said this was dual use and I don't think you'll want to go lower than the threaded range of the HD for a road car.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:53 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I also vote for a non-adjustable shock and spring package and for shocks that have been re-valved to match your springs. Most of us do not change anything once our suspensions are set up.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:16 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my reds and Bilstein HDs. spent under 1K for them.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:32 PM
tdatk
Advanced

Thanks for the info. On shox.com they don't list H&R springs by color , only by pn. DO you know the correct part number for the reds.?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know the part number but they should be the springs for the 964 turbo. No?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:10 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Porsche917K
Don't know the part number but they should be the springs for the 964 turbo. No?
Correct.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:31 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can understand the impulse to do things on the cheap (I do whenever I can) but I can't replace the expertise and the help that I have gotten from Steve at Rennsport Systems. When it comes to "bang for the buck", he has been invaluable to me in selection, setup and tuning of my suspension. A little experience can make a huge difference in the selection and combination of suspension components - keeping me out of the weeds (figuratively and literally). I feel I have saved money in the long run, as my C4 handles like I never could have imagined. He can supply parts at reasonable prices, and his experience is well worth the time.

http://www/rennsportsystems.com
Old 08-19-2009, 10:33 AM
mpeters951
Racer

I'm not saying do things on the cheap. I'm saying that there are great values (with price being an element of value) to be had if you really act like an intelligent consumer. For example, SRP's catalog is a great read on the value to be gained in using their re-valved HD's. This is based on a great deal of experience @ SRP. Steve Weiner @ RennSport IMO is an outstanding resource that cuts right through all the bull**** marketing associated with the "must have" hot new coilover system du jour. For a primarily street driven car, let's admit that coilovers are a bit of a self image/Porsche owner ego driven purchase with which I have no issue whatsoever.

But, that said, and for the car only occasionally DE driven, I really believe best VALUE can be gained with/thru intelligently matched, accurately spec'd and chosen parts like Reds over standard HD's or SRP valved HD's. For such a car and use strategy you can also obviously start with standard HD's and really learn car control on track and then move to altered/optimized valving or go coilover for the massive adjustability. The initial statement in this thread was around best value for what I read to be a primarily street driven car. OK I'll shut up now.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:05 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll un-acronym this for the casual reader (a few more keystrokes won't kill your keyboard..........)--SRP= Smart Racing Products, aka Craig Watkins, who's with Flying Lizards the ALMS GT2 team. While I've not personally used any of Craig's revalving specs, I can appreciate racing with him back when he used to club race. I would absolutely learn something every time he came up to lap me, or I could hang with him for a few corners in practice or qualifying. Nearly wrote of a car at Laguna one time I was trying so hard to keep up!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:05 PM
mpeters951
Racer

tbennet: sorry I overlooked your Q on part #. You're going to need to search on the 965 for the fitment you need (that would be 91 on IIRC). That will get you the correct part that can indeed go on a '90 C2 and work extremely well assuming proper matching to the shock (as mentioned above) and sorting/aligning/height, weight setting obviously.

I had these on the exact same car as yours (over Ruf shocks, Ruf bars) and it was an outstanding piece of kit. Kit being the operative word, as I think that Ruf, back in the early 90's was selling H&R 965 Red's over their badged shocks as the Ruf fast road approach to the non turbo 964 cars.

I'm pretty sure that the spring I had was H&R part # 29834.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:29 PM
hawk911
Race Car

I have the H&R Turbo springs. Not sure if I can get a part # for you, but I'll try if you need it. I bought them used, not new so no invoice to refer to.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:22 PM
tdatk
Advanced

Good info..thanks guys. I remember reading somewhere that the spring perches changed around 91-92. Should I be specific to ask for one that fit the 90 model year? Anyone got the reds for sale? I'll be getting new Bilsteins HD's for this trip around.

Thanks again
Tim
Old 08-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

what about sachs shocks? are they basically the same as Bilstein HD?

Quick Reply: Suspension uprades, best bang for the buck