Sponsored by:

964 holds her own at local autocross

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009 | 12:11 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default 964 holds her own at local autocross

Decided to attend the local autocross yesterday. Since owning the 964 for about 5 years, the car has never seen any type of organized event.

The setup was a tight technical three lap course loosely based on SCCA solo 2 rules. Car classes were also very loosely setup as I ran B Stock with a club race setup 968, a supercharged 88 911, and 73 rs replica and some others. My class was the largest, consisting of 12 cars. The organizer called it the Porsche group.

The track temps were 108 degrees and I was running 17" 5 year old Pilot Sports in the rear and rock hard, almost full thread, Yoko AVS 100's in the front. Not the best setup for the street, and certainly not the best setup for an autocross.

Now I had done some autocrossing in the 80's with a couple different Toyotas and my best was a Street Prepared MR2. So I had some experience, a couple decades ago.

I was a corner worker for the first race, so I got to examine the line a little bit. There were a few interpretations of the best line, but mostly everyone attacked the corners the same.

The first group included a diverse array of cars, including a supercharged Mustang Cobra, a Catherham 7, a turbo rwd Starion and a bunch of P-cars, including a brand new Cayman S with a temporary tag, a 997 C4, and a 997 turbo. It was fun watching these guys beat the **** out of there tires.

I got a break before I ran in the third group. I took my daughter out for some lunch and got back as my group was lining up. Now I had not prepared at all for the event. I actually decided to do the event about 30 mins before I had to leave home. Never checked tire pressures, had car full of junk that had to be unloaded all over my parking space. And now I return and my group is already lining up. Talk about being out of my element.

So I drop off my daughter at the timing tent and I get a loaner helmet and get ready to run.

Into the starting gate and off I go. 1st gear into 2nd, the tires are already squealing and I haven't even hit the the big sweeper left u turn. As I hit it, the front end is so light that I am at full lock and the car is pushing straight. I figure now that I need to use the go pedal to make these turns.

The course was setup for 3 laps total and then into the stop box. First lap was loud with all the tires being beaten into submission, 2nd, 3rd and 4th lap were much of the same. The run ends and no cones knocked. I look at the timer in the stop box and it's showing 78.xx seconds. Now I remember hearing all these other guys saying they were in the mid 60's. WTF. Am I that bad. I then remember that I was only supposed to do 3 laps, oops. the idiot light goes off in my head. The only consolation was no cone penalties.

I line back up for my second run and once finished I time out at 61.xx. WOW, I must be pretty good. Back at the timing tent I look at my times and the see OC for the first run. Off Course, huh. I was just trying to figure out the course and took an extra lap. My penalty should be my crappy time, not an off course. Any way I look at the second time and it shows 65.xx. There must be some mistake, I remember seeing 61.xx. I talk to the timer and he says 2 cones. 2 sec penalty each. I do remember feeling a bump but I'm sure it wasn't a cone. Oh well, I am NOT that good.

Before the second session, I try to recall those autocrossing fixes. If the car is oversteering, lower the front tire pressures. I don't even have a tire gauge, so I borrow one, check the fronts and they are showing near 40psi. I guess some heat builds as you go through the course. I lower them to 30. I check the rears and they look ok at 34. Looks like the Michelins react better to heat than the Yokos.

Second session and I think I have the course figured out. Front end feels a little more planted. Into the stop box and I see a 58.xx. I'm getting better, but still hit a cone. Scored as 61.xx. Last run for all the marbles. I get my head into it and try to slow down everything. I'm actually hitting my spots. Stop box results, 56.971 and no cones. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.
End of day results, 2nd in class. Lost to that darn race prepped 968 by 0.3 seconds.

I guess I need to get some new tires now, at least the fronts. Here we go down that slippery slope again.

I have never thought that the 964 had enough power, but in autocross, it may have too much. The rear likes to step out. Pretty cool feeling, but not the fastest way. I guess tires will help.

Fastest time of the day posted by the Catherham, 54.xx. I was only 2 seconds off. I think I can get him next time. If the 964 is that close to a Chaterham 7, then it must be a pretty good chassis.

End of story... 150K mile 964 still pretty good after all these years.

Now I gotta get back into DE's. I better start saving for tires.
Old 08-16-2009 | 12:52 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

You seemed to have enjoyed yourself and the car proved reliable.
Old 08-16-2009 | 01:09 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

That was a great story. I've been meaning to checkout an A.C.

Now I really want to see one! Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 08-16-2009 | 01:57 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Sounds like a blast!! Great driving!

Quick Reply: 964 holds her own at local autocross