Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 dash lights problem, all lights suddenly on

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never removed the fuse box or even the fuse box cover .
I removed the fan / blower and found that I could remove and replace the coils just fine .

"5) Unscrew the two electrical gizmos (I think they are resisters)"
If you are talking about the two ignition switches , I don't think they need removal .

"One thing that wasn't mentioned yet is to disconnect the battery first."
I like to take the battery all the way out and put it on a charger ,
the last step after I have looked to see that everything is good to go
is to drop the fully charged up battery back in place .
Old 08-20-2009, 01:45 AM
pmalenfa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I replaced my coils tonight. With your instructions and advices, it was quite easy. I found a coil in bad shape. There was corosion in the coil connector and the High Tension connector. I cleaned the connector as much as I could (sand paper rolled, then cleaned with some brake cleaner). I will see if this last (I'll check again the connector in a few weeks). Here is the exact procedure I did (Please see the pictures I'm attaching.)

1) Disconnect the battery
2) Remove the fuses box cover (only the cover)
3) Remove the heater blower (2 x 10mm screws, disconnect the blower connector, details in the engine maintenance manual)
4) Disconnect the ignition connectors (rectangles connectors in front of the coil assembly, shown with the blue arrow in the pic)
5) Remove the two plastic covers over the tops of the coils. They are held on with a single plastic snap.
6) Unscrew the two allen screws holding the strap across the coils. The bottom one hold in place but be carefull not dropping the top one. See the picture for locations (circled in red).
7) Unscrew the coils wires (8mm and 10mm, be carefull, they all have a nut and a washer)
8) Disconnect the coils and remove the coils assembly. One of my coils was in bad shape as well as the HT connector, as shown in the photos.
9) There is another allen screw to loosen the coils and remove the coils. Note: They might be stuck to the assembly a nit.
10) Installation is the reverse.

Thanks for all of your advices, this is much appreciated! Now let's hope my "Christmas Tree effect" will disapear!

Pierre
Attached Images      
Old 08-20-2009, 04:37 AM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

Thanks for the update and photos that coil looks well past it's best, did you try testing it by running the car only on that coil? I don't think it would have sounded to good.
BTW in the photos I can't see a distributer vent fitted you might want to check that out.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:26 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

As Crystal mentions a vent kit appears to be missing. While you're in there next time, try applying some dielectric grease in each hi tension boot (ie. coils and spark plugs) that should help keep moisture out and ease removal next time. Not sure if you have Canadian Tire up there in Montreal but any decent automotive supply should have the dielectric grease. If you plan on running the affected coil you may want to polish the brown colored plastic insulator so it looks as shiny and smooth as the other coil, by sanding it in steps to a very fine 1200 grit or so, then followed by polishing it with something like Brasso - that will help the problem from reoccuring and will aid in the performance of the coil by keeping the spark contained.

Bill
Old 08-20-2009, 09:08 AM
pmalenfa
Racer

Hi,

I have no plan running the old coils, I replaced by new coils. Good advice on dielectric grease. I knew it and I tought the coils would come with a little tube in the box (I saw this a long time ago... not for porsche). I did'nt had dielectric grease yesterday but with your advices. I will apply some later.

About the vent, that might be the pictures, here is a picture of the vent I have, can you tell me if it's the vent you are talking about? I saw another picture in another thread with two vent tubes, one says for "from reflector, the other "from distributor". I think I have the distributor vent installed but I've no idea on what is the other (reflector?). Please let me know if what you see in my picture is right.

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Yes, you have a distributor vent. That's the way my cars' vents are plumbed.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:16 PM
Catalonia964
1st Gear

Hi! I understand that Pmalenfa has already solved his problems. I've got exactly the same problem and it was as springer3 said. I changed also the "delco" pipettes (sorry delco is as we call in spanish). I hope this will help other users. Enjoy your 964!
Old 02-01-2010, 05:50 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Indycam
I have never removed the fuse box or even the fuse box cover .
I removed the fan / blower and found that I could remove and replace the coils just fine .

"5) Unscrew the two electrical gizmos (I think they are resisters)"
If you are talking about the two ignition switches , I don't think they need removal .

"One thing that wasn't mentioned yet is to disconnect the battery first."
I like to take the battery all the way out and put it on a charger ,
the last step after I have looked to see that everything is good to go
is to drop the fully charged up battery back in place .
+1 (Best response based on my experience with this issue.) Come on, just do it. It's a very easy DIY.

However, be aware that the coils may not resolve the issue. IMHO, it is just as likely that the spark plug wires are causing the problem. I did wires first on mine and it resolved 80% of the Christmas Trees. Replaced the coils next and it knocked them out completely.

Try running the engine in the dark to see if you can spot any arcing. I've even heard some recommend a light spray of water before starting the engine.

If your car has never had the wires replaced, they're probably shot and it's time for new ones. I recommend going with the OE Beru wires. They're really expensive if you just go to one of the distributors. But look around first if money is an issue. I think there was a recent group buy effort in motion.

A while back, our friends to the north could get them about half price and I scored a set from one of them. I think that pricing anomaly has been discontinued though.

If you're a little reluctant to do the coils yourself, I would not recommend trying the wires as a DIY. It requires removing the final muffler, cat and heat shielding to get at the lower ones, and being double jointed helps on the top ones.

Good luck. It's a great feeling when you finally get rid of those Christmas Trees!
Old 02-01-2010, 05:55 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Uh, sorry. A little late on that post I guess.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:16 AM
pmalenfa
Racer

Just to let know the final solution to my problem. I have replaced both coils myself (easy), I tought at first my problem got solved but it re-appeared. It was just less frequent. My mechanics had a look at it and diagnosys clearly show it was my plugs. He did replaced the plugs, tested the wires (they were good even if originals), cleaned-up connecters on every wires, caps, etc. This solved the problem, I never got a check-engine since then and everything is running just fine now.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:09 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had christmas tree effect on my car... ugh.

pmalenfa, did the repair last?
Old 11-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Yes, the repair lasts. Fresh coils and ignition wires did the trick for my car.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

THanks!!
Old 04-10-2018, 04:53 PM
Kymco
3rd Gear

Hi everybody. I am new on this forum. I saw this topic and i am particulary interesting about it.
I have a similar problem but maybee not exactly the same. I have only the chrismass light when i switch on my light (headlight and also nightlight).
Do you think the problem is from the coil or wire or something else?
i never have the problem during the day. Only the night with light after about 15min and then more frequently. I have to switch off/on the key.

NB: sometime the tree is only 1 or 2 dash light but often a lot of lights and 1 every 2 with the noise of the alarm. Can appear during acceleration, constant speed or deceleration.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:36 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^ I had an issue similar to yours where I would randomly get a Christmas tree dash with the headlights on. Ended up having the turn signal assembly replaced.

Quick Reply: 964 dash lights problem, all lights suddenly on