Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ADVICE PLEASE OIL LEAK ABOVE THERMOSTAT???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 04:14 PM
blue964
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADVICE PLEASE OIL LEAK ABOVE THERMOSTAT???

Hi i have just taken the scid pan off my car as there seemed to be an odd oil leak? i have taken pics as im unsure what these pipes are and what there for??

i believe its had this leak for ages as it is really mucky! its just down the driver side...
can anyone give me advice?
is this going to be expensive?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-11-2009, 04:23 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

This is the oil tank area and there are several oil lines there. It could be something minor - a leaking oil line (or 5). They are relatively inexpensive and you can do the work yourself.

I would first try to clean the area as much as possible - use a pressure washer or take the car to a self-service car wash and hose down the area well. Once all the crud is gone, clean it up with paper towels until there is no more oil. Then take the car for a drive and after that look again and see where the leaks are coming from. Report back here

BTW, your rear sway bar looks seriously rusted out. Has the car seen a lot of winter use?
Old 08-11-2009, 04:30 PM
blue964
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only owned the car for 10 days, but the last owner used the car everyday, i did notice that and am going to replace them they dont seem to be to bad its more surface...
oil leak to deal with 1st! hope it is just one of those pipes...

thanks for your help.

mart
Old 08-11-2009, 04:48 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the shark's fin off aswell so that you can see more of what is happening when you clean it down.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:33 PM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

+ 964 on the cleaning and inspect all hoses Ilko mentioned.
I remember a story of someone who seized up the motor or damaged it severly due to sand/dirt entering oil system thru a damaged hose in this area(I believe after a rebuilt same thing happened and then the culprit was found), but may be some one can chime in and confirm if I read this here or elsewere...

Last edited by velocitylover; 08-12-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:37 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

Be carefull taking the Shark fins off. There are clips etc back there that could break.

Go to this site for instructions on how to take them off. Look under technical and the Body/Interior sections.

http://www.porsche964.co.uk/
Old 08-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I recall the "sand in the oil via a small leak in this area" story - it's not a figment of your imagination. : )

But BLUE964, no real need for all caps. Yhis is an important issue to diagnose - but not nearly the end of the world. Save the cries for help when you're stuck roadside and the engine won't restart, of there's actually oil squirting from a ruptured line, etc. THOSE are emergencies (except the first one - which is prolly only a DME relay) : )

RK

Quick Reply: ADVICE PLEASE OIL LEAK ABOVE THERMOSTAT???