Sponsored by:

Front Engine Mount Worn?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 07:14 AM
ianellison
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Engine Mount Worn?

How do you know if the front engine mount is worn out?

I understand it is made from rubber and is designed to absorb horizontal vibration (according to Adrian Streather). If this is the case then like the lower steering bushes will not the rubber loose its resilience over many miles? What is the effect of a worn front mount on the cars drive & feel?

I get a slight knock when I go from coasting at say 15 mph over speed bumps and just apply a little power - could this be the front mount or transmission wear/slack. I drive a Carrera 4 BTW with 111,000 miles on it and as far as I know the front mount has never been changed. Thanks...
Old 08-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

If you are getting a noise when going over speed bumps, I would check all of the rubber suspension bits (front wishbones, front strut bearings, engine mounts, shocks, etc). For what its worth, my C4 has its original engine mounts (front and rear). When the engine was out 2 years ago for a new clutch, I inspected the mounts and they looked ok. Not sure what the lifespan to expect for the front engine mount.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:58 PM
Hacan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ıf there is oil leak on front dif. case it can contuse the rubber of front mount.Otherwise it is hard to worn.The difference between worn engine mount and healty one is the pin.Worn mount pin hold on more down to the healty one (engine is pulling the pin down).If you can compare two them you can easly understand which one worn.

Quick Reply: Front Engine Mount Worn?