Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio problem - possibly amplifier?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 02:07 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio problem - possibly amplifier?

I was home during the month of June on leave, and (obviously) took the opportunity to drive my poor negelcted ol' 964 (hardly! ) Anyways, the only problem I had with the car was with the radio. I installed an Alpine CDA-9884 in the car, a little over a year ago. While I was home, I discovered that about 90% of the time that I started up the car, the stereo would only play for about 30 seconds, then go silent. The other 10% of the time it would play for the duration of my drive no problem. The head unit still has power, and looks and operates like it is playing, but no sound. Now, I popped it out of the dash, just to make sure the connector/wiring harness was still in proper shape. Everything looks good there. I was about to order a replacement stereo last night, when the idea hit me, that it possibly may not be the head unit. While I don't know the ins and outs of my 964's stereo wiring, I believe that there is a factory amplifier that the signal runs through before getting to the speakers.

So, I guess my question is, might there be a problem with the amplifier? How would I diagnose it? If there is a problem with the amp, I am assuming that I can just bypass it altogether, and just use the built in amplifier in the head unit - I'm not looking for great quality sound, as the rear deck speakers and front tweeters are no more (Appbiz RS carpet set and door panels). Do these symptoms indicate an amplifier problem at all? I appreciate the help, would like to make sure the problem is with the head unit before I order another one.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:14 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You really don't need the pre-amp located under the passenger seat. I took mine out when installing a new head unit. You can use the pre-amp location, to junction all your speaker wires at this point.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:11 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Thanks - thats what I plan on doing.

Nobody knows if this sounds like an amplifier problem? I think it sounds a bit like it is maybe overheating?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Sorry, can't help you. Both of my 964's have "newer" radios with plenty of power so I bypassed the amps and wired straight to the speakers.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:27 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

ayeah, I should have just bypassed the amp in the first place when I put the head unit in. At this point, 17 years later, it would probably sound better without the amp...

Quick Reply: Radio problem - possibly amplifier?