Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Smoking 45 seconds after startup (not overfilled..)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 10:48 AM
nekbet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Smoking 45 seconds after startup (not overfilled..)

So... Here's the story and hopefully someone will be able to help me out.. I've read a few of the smoke stories and still am stumped.

The facts:

*edit* just noticed my signature is no longer here... The car is a 1990 C4 Targa

Last drove the car about 5-6 weeks ago - ran fine, no odd smoke at startup or while driving. It was about the same weather then (midwestern summer).

I started the car last weekend, and it normally does a little smoke (maybe 5-10 seconds) after sitting. This time, it did that, then cleared for a few seconds, then started smoking a little, and by about 45-60 seconds of running it started smoking pretty badly.
I rev'd the engine a few times, as that normally clears it. But, this time, that just causes way more smoke.

I've started it a few times and let it get warm - where the temp gauge is about 8 oclock. It seems to want to smoke MORE as it gets warm. The amount of smoke is proportionate with throttle (more gas = more oil smoke!)

Engine has 128k miles. About 50k on top-end rebuild.
It is oil smoke.
It is coming from the tailpipe.
Oil is not overfilled - and to be sure, I drained about 1.5 quarts.
I disconnected the oil line on the drivers left side of the intake manifold (towards the front of the car from the throttle body/ISV valve) and there was a little oil in there.. wiped it out and no change...). When running I left this disconnected and there was still oil smoke.

My thoughts....

Valve seal?

What plugs should I pull to see if they're oily? My assumption is, if all are oily its coming in thru the intake.. If one is oily its head related?
Could it be a bad ring?

Thoughts? Thanks for any advice,

-Mike

Last edited by nekbet; 08-03-2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: ...
Old 08-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess is that while sitting oil got past the rings and then into your exhaust on start up .
It is a "flat" motor so oil can run into the cylinders from the crankcase while sitting .

When you started the motor the oil when out the exhaust valves and into a cold exhaust system .
When the exhaust system heated up the oil smoked more .

If you take this car out for a good long run and let the oil in the exhaust system get pushed / burnt out ,
hopefully at some point it stops smoking . Drive it home , when you get home let the motor run at idle for a minute or two before shutting off the motor . Then next day start up the motor and see if it still smokes .
Old 08-03-2009, 01:35 PM
nekbet
Instructor

I dont think I could get out of the neighborhood without getting arrested. It is ALOT of smoke.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

In the dark of night , when everyones asleep ,
964 Man is running strong ,
hunting down the causes and solutions .
Old 08-03-2009, 09:28 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Mike! I'm from Dayton as well. If Indycam's advice doesn't pan out I've heard good things about Euro Classics in Kettering. Their website is http://www.euroclassix.com/. Once you get things sorted shoot me a note if you want to meet up (or you think I can give you a hand).

Travis
Old 08-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Whats the news on old smoky ?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:46 PM
nekbet
Instructor

Indy,

Nothing yet... Other cars took priority so far... I just reread your thing about it sitting in the exhaust now, and not pooling in the cylinders..
I think I can test that theory by taking a torch to the low areas of the exhaust and see if I get any burning oil.. which I will do this weekend!

Thanks for the followup.. I keep looking at the thing in the garage and I know I need to drive it...

-Mike
Old 08-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

The oil would be sitting above the piston in the cylinder until the motor is cranked .
On start up the oil would be sent out the exhaust valve and into the exhaust system .
Old 08-25-2009, 08:07 AM
paa502
Pro

""In the dark of night , when everyones asleep ,
964 Man is running strong ,
hunting down the causes and solutions""

Reassuring...........

Quick Reply: Oil Smoking 45 seconds after startup (not overfilled..)