Sponsored by:

Headlight Removal DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:04 AM
reynwerkes
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Headlight Removal DIY

I found a few DIY's on headlight removal but I thought none were very thorough. To me, it's the little tips that make things so much easier. This covers H5 headlights. I'm guessing H4's are similar. Here goes:
1. Remove bottom screw on headlight trim ring. Use a good Philips screwdriver that doesn't have a worn tip. Because of all the exposure to the elements that the headlight assembly is exposed to it's likely that the screws are nearly seized up. Not many folks know of these but Wera and Felo (both German) make some excellent tools that make even Snap On look silly! Check them out when you get a chance. Not very expensive either.
2. It's likely that the trim ring is stuck to the gasket. I used a hook that I could insert into the hole that the headlight trim ring screw was in and gently pulled and slowly you can hear the trim ring work it's way off the gasket. The trim ring is secured at the top so you lift from the bottom and the ring will come right off.
3. There are four screws securing the headlight assembly to the car. Make sure before you begin turning that the screwdriver tip is in tight. The screws are very easy to strip and several of mine were already banged up from the previous removal. It's also very easy while concentrating on turning the screw to hit the plastic of the light housing and consequently start chipping away at it due to age. Again, be careful and watch the shaft of the screwdriver. There should be a plastic washer on the back of the screws that prevent them from coming out all the way even if you've worked them all the way out of the threads. Gently wiggle the headlight and see if you need to work the screws out a bit more. Eventually it'll come out.
4. On reinstall, I dabbed a little bit of anti-seize paste on the screw threads in an attempt to prevent any of them from seizing up in the future. I also took the time to wipe the grime off the housing and polished up the glass as best I could. Everything else is just the reversal of the above.

I removed the headlights to install some Silverstar bulbs. Not bad. Not a huge difference but still a nice difference for a few dollars. When it comes to upgrades on a Porsche this is definitely a rare bargain!
Old 07-31-2009, 08:01 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Taking the time to share saves countless others time and toil. Rookie mistake is to turn the adjustment screws thinking they are holding the light.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:13 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by springer3
Taking the time to share saves countless others time and toil. Rookie mistake is to turn the adjustment screws thinking they are holding the light.
Been there, done that...paid a service station to readjust my headlights!
Old 07-31-2009, 12:25 PM
fiskarflugen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone have a pic of the adjustment screws vs the ones that should be removed?
Old 07-31-2009, 02:49 PM
greenr
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The adjustment screws are the ones that are easy to put your screw driver on. The screws for removal are behind those (i.e. further into the headlight housing
Old 07-31-2009, 02:52 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's some discussion on the silverstar bulbs in these; something about how they reflect light. I'll search for it.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:20 PM
reynwerkes
Instructor

The four screws that need to be replaced are at 2 - 10 - 4 and 8 o'clock if I'm not mistaken.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:36 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Watch out for them posh bulbs!

They may be brighter but they may damage your wiring!

I tried a set of 100w bulbs and they fried my switch,s. Expensive to repair.

I now have a HID kit, this is a massive upgrade on standard candle bulbs.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:40 PM
reynwerkes
Instructor

Silverstar's (at least the one's I'm using) are rated at stock wattage so no problems with wiring.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:14 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaseN
Been there, done that...paid a service station to readjust my headlights!
Thank you for not asking how I knew this.

Quick Reply: Headlight Removal DIY