Sponsored by:

Climate Control Unit Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 04:50 AM
reynwerkes
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Climate Control Unit Removal

Okay, here's my first DIY on this forum.
I may have missed one here but in searching this forum all I could find were bits and pieces of how to do this. Being that the unit is so expensive I thought it would be worth sharing my experience.
1. Remove all *****. Pull straight out. You may have to help a little using a small flat head screwdriver. Be gentle!
2. Using a 10mm deep socket unscrew the nuts on the blower speed and temp. control stems. Make sure you don't loose the washer that's in there also. (Update: not necessary to remove the nuts. Only if you intend to dismantle the faceplate)
3. Using the correct two prong tool, insert it in the two holes on the left side and on the right side. You should feel a "snap" when the tool has released the locking tabs. Yeah, you can fabricate this tool but I suggest getting the proper tool, it'll work better and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
4. Pull unit out a bit so that you can see the locking tabs holding in the faceplate to the metal body of the unit. The tabs look like three "ribs". There are three on the top and bottom of the unit. Just push down gently and pry away the faceplate as you go. It should snap out. Once you get the faceplate out of the way it'll be held together by a ribbon cable. Flip the faceplate over, release the locking tab and place the faceplate safely out of the way.
5. Gently pull the unit out and slowly tilt it towards the passenger direction. It'll just slightly hit the control stalks on the steering wheel. Push the sheet metal of the unit a little to get past the stalks and pull out.
6. There are two cables on the backside of the unit that need to be removed. one side has a clip. Pull up on the clip and when there's enough room insert a tool to push up further. Not sure if you can use fingers to get the cables out. The other end is secured by a plastic arm so the fitting tilts up from one side for removal. When you do it you'll see what I mean. The other cable is attached opposite to this one so be careful.
7. Clean your unit up to your hearts content.
8. Install is just the opposite. Just be careful when screwing down the nuts for the faceplate. I only go finger tight, maybe even a bit less. You may also have to maneuver the cables from underneath the dash so the unit slides in with on resistance.

My unit was basically dead, no functions were working but after reinstallation everything started to work. Doesn't mean it'll keep working but a small victory so far!

Last edited by reynwerkes; 07-22-2009 at 05:26 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:50 PM
mojo747
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. Will be doing this soon.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:18 PM
GP White
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the details.
One word of caution:
A few years ago I was too heavy handed with the two cable connectors mentioned in step 6. I wound up loosening the ground wires at the connector which caused buzzing and other problems. Easy to fix by reinserting the loose wire into the multi-pin connector.

Quick Reply: Climate Control Unit Removal