Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scuffed paintwork: what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009 | 01:26 AM
jjbunn
Racer

Default Scuffed paintwork: what to do?

A piece of 2x4 fell off the shelf in my garage, and landed on the hood of my C2, scuffing the paintwork in a few places as it slid down to the floor.

It didn't go through the paint, but the scuffs are quite noticeable - each is about 3" long and 1/4" wide.

What is the best way of treating damage like this? Will it "buff out" and, if so, what does that involve, exactly?

Many thanks!
Old 07-17-2009 | 01:51 AM
DK
Instructor

ouch!
I have been using 3m imperial hand glaze to successfully take out the track rubber scuffs and more. Quite gentle, and follow up with a good wax. Might be too gentle for what you describe however. The 3m imperial hand glaze has been the best paint treatment I've encountered, so I don't think you can go wrong to try it.
Old 07-17-2009 | 02:11 AM
Shamus964
Pro

I've used Meguiar's Scratch X for quite awhile with good results. Just take your time and use a good amount of the product.

They should come out with some elbow grease if they are just scuffs. Good luck!
Old 07-17-2009 | 11:17 AM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

a good random orbital polisher and the Griot's 3 step polish worked well for me.
Old 07-17-2009 | 11:25 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by John Rygg
a good random orbital polisher and the Griot's 3 step polish worked well for me.
I think a lot of folks around here would be well served by this point.
(Well, maybe not slavishly to the Griot brand, but claying + orbital polisher + polish of most any kind.)

I went this route for the first time two years ago, via stuff learned @ the Concourse forum, and it's made a world of difference.
That, and chip repairs and patience will turn your daily beater into a showroom floor shiner.
It's not really all that much trouble...
Old 07-17-2009 | 02:26 PM
jjbunn
Racer

Originally Posted by elbeee964
I think a lot of folks around here would be well served by this point.
(Well, maybe not slavishly to the Griot brand, but claying + orbital polisher + polish of most any kind.)

I went this route for the first time two years ago, via stuff learned @ the Concourse forum, and it's made a world of difference.
That, and chip repairs and patience will turn your daily beater into a showroom floor shiner.
It's not really all that much trouble...
I do have an orbital polisher, but have never had the nerve to use it on the 911. I guess now I have less to lose

I assume that first I should carefully wash the hood, then clay it (I have clay), then start in on the polish, presumably on the whole hood surface? I may try the polish by hand first of all.

Perhaps I should head over to the concourse forum ...

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 07-17-2009 | 02:29 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Originally Posted by Shamus964
I've used Meguiar's Scratch X for quite awhile with good results. Just take your time and use a good amount of the product.

They should come out with some elbow grease if they are just scuffs. Good luck!
Too much optical filler with this, try a 3M or Menzerna product for decent results.

k.
Old 07-17-2009 | 02:48 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Also in the same boat not with a scratch etc but have a rotary polisher which I will try on my jeep this weekend. Don't forget to tape off the edges. The edges have the least amount of paint and everything I have seen or read shows them using blue tape to tape off edges and plastic parts.
Old 07-17-2009 | 04:05 PM
hawk911
Race Car

blue tape being a painters tape; less adhesive material to deal with.
Old 07-17-2009 | 04:31 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
Also in the same boat not with a scratch etc but have a rotary polisher which I will try on my jeep this weekend...
Random orbital, w/ a foam pad, is a beginner's best polishing friend.

A pro will use a rotary... because it's faster and has more 'powerful' polishing avenues/options. (A novice w/ a rotary will burn through the clear coat, or a single-stage paint in a surprisingly short order.)

But a novice w/ a orbital (and time) can accomplish 95% of what a pro w/ a rotary can do. And do it safely.

Take care.
Old 07-18-2009 | 06:46 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

From: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Originally Posted by warmfuzzies
Too much optical filler with this, try a 3M or Menzerna product for decent results.

k.
+1
3M Perfect-It II Swirl Mark Remover (my favorite)
Menzerna Intensive Polish
Meguiars 105 (might be the easiest to find locally, I have to order the others)

These all are designed for a rotary, but you can use them by hand for a small area. Start gently with the lowest end of the scale, assess your results, and use the next more aggressive product if necessary. Once you clean up the afflicted areas, you can complete with your normal polishing routine.
Old 07-18-2009 | 07:18 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

well just so you all know used my rotary today for the first time. Did my jeep then the porsche. I must say I did it at a very low speed basically min to 1 out on speed out of 10. Just fast enough to break down the product and get a nice even coat with no pressure just held it on the paint. Came out great.
Old 07-18-2009 | 07:54 PM
Dwane
Race Car

If you run your finger nail over the scuff do you feel different layers through the scuff?
Old 07-18-2009 | 11:18 PM
ian89C4
Pro

Has anyone used the Mother's power ball? I used it the other week after claying(mothers claying kit) and used Zymol cleaning wax and it buffed out a good number of my scratches and scuffs. The car looked way better than it had since I have had it.

Just wondering if anyone else uses it?

Oh, I have no association with Mother's by the way, just stuff from auto zone.
Old 07-18-2009 | 11:52 PM
jjbunn
Racer

Originally Posted by d964
If you run your finger nail over the scuff do you feel different layers through the scuff?
I feel some resistance, as my nail passes over the scuff. I can't say I feel layers as such.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Quick Reply: Scuffed paintwork: what to do?