Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C2 vs C4

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009 | 04:25 PM
knipdlo
4th Gear

Default C2 vs C4

Hello All, I'm lurking for the time being, but hope to be in a Porsche soon.. I've looked at a number of different cars- an Acura NSX, 1984 Porsche 911, 2002 911 Cab, BMW M5 all as replacements for my 1981 DeLorean DMC-12..(which is for sale if you know anyone interested)

Hopefully it will be sold this weekend at the Syracuse Nationals, otherwise its going on ebay.

My question for you all though is this: C2 or C4? I am going to school in Tulsa Oklahoma, and it only snows about 4 times per winter, and EVERYTHING shuts down- so I don't need to trek through snow all the time, plus I've only owned 1 front drive car in the winter and hated every minute.. BUT as far as maintenance and drivability- which is best?

I'm not sure what the system is that was used in the C4 I have a hard time finding information- does it used a viscous center diff like the old quattro and syncro systems? Or? What fails? Wears out? How good is a C4 in the snow compared to a C2? (I do drive home for winter break, and it snows in Syracuse..)

Thanks for your help! and sorry for the long winded post!
Old 07-16-2009 | 04:35 PM
DaveK
Race Car

You may wish to post on a different forum, since none of the cars you've listed are 964s. The '84 is pre-964 and the 2002 911 cab is a 996 - and 996's use a different 4wd system to 964s.

Even though you don't list 964 as a possible replacement I will say that the 4wd systems on them very rarely have any problems.
Old 07-16-2009 | 05:14 PM
axl911
Drifting

The snow in Tulsa, whatever little there is, melts the next day. If you're worried, get a cheap set of wheels and put on snow tires which you may use like 2 days out of the year.
Old 07-16-2009 | 05:54 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

I chose the c4 not because I liked it more or less just because I found a great example in my price range. Some will say the C2 drives better and others will says the C4. i guess it depends on if you like the hang on for your life in a corner or the ability of awd to pull out of teh corner. I think both are fun... From what I have read there really is no more maint or issues with a C4
Old 07-16-2009 | 07:01 PM
amr89c4
Pro

My C4 has given no problems in regard to the AWD system. I think you will find in your research that the C4 system is very reliable in all iterations.

The two cars do drive differently in stock form, but a C4 can be made to behave pretty much like a C2 with some suspension and alignment work if thats what you want. The C4 will always feel a little 'heavy' in the front compared to a 84 911, but hey, it is heavier in the front as it has a differential, halfshafts, CV joints and driveshaft but it also has power steering that by design provides greater assistance at low speed and proportionally less as speed goes up, providing easy parking lot handling and a good feel for the road at speed.

I track mine and love its handling after sorting out the shocks, springs, rear sway and tires which were worn out anyway and setting up a track biased alignment.

Good luck and you can't go wrong with either car. Just get a quality PPI before buying, as repairs can become quite expensive in a hurry on either car.
Old 07-16-2009 | 07:24 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

I do not know about 2002 (996) 911s, but with respect to 1989-1993 964s here is a good write up.

http://www.performance2and4.co.uk/964di_1_n.htm
Old 07-16-2009 | 07:51 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

The 2002 996 (the facelifted version with the 3.6 engine) is a solid and very great car. If you go for a 996, then make sure to get one of the facelifted ones, those are the best.
Old 07-16-2009 | 10:43 PM
knipdlo
4th Gear

Thanks for all the responses- oops, I meant to say that I had looked at all of those other cars as possible replacements for the DeLorean, but in considering a 964 as a replacement what are the arguments for either side (C2 or C4)..

Sounds pretty interesting.. With the race setups (I plan on occasionally tracking the car) is there more involved in setting up the C4 as opposed to the C2? How about for a starter vehicle for track use? Is the C2 gonna be too hot to handle?

Thank you all for your valued input!
Old 07-16-2009 | 11:01 PM
amr89c4
Pro

My opinion fwiw, is that an 89 C4 is not very different to set up for De days than a C2.

Address the shocks, springs, rear sway and tires. Rear sway and wider front tires improve the understeer. I currently run a streetable, but track biased alignment tops it off. I just purchased a trailer and will likely move to a more aggressive alignment since I don't have to drive the car 130 miles to the track.

I run Bilstein HDs on each corner, HR Turbo (Red) Springs, a 22mm rear sway. The rear sway diameter increase helps reduce the understeer. I lowered the car to RS plus 5mm ride height specs and the corner balance was spot on.

I run 17" Cup wheels with 225s on the front to further help reduce understeer and 255s on the rear. Air pressure contributes to the final handling characteristics. Tires are Yoko AD 07s at 36 psi to start with at all 4 corners.

For good measure I run a carbon fiber strut brace, but I don't think its really ncessary.

In a word, the C4 is not any more difficult to set up for aggressive DEs than a C2. Others who own C2s may disagree and I defer to them since they own them and I don't.
Old 07-16-2009 | 11:18 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

I have a C2 and drive it through Chicago winters. I have driven a few C4's, they grip better around tight turns than a C2 will. Overall during normal driving you can't tell a difference between the two. They both solid cars, its really up to you, if you feel that you need a 4 wheel drive. Maintenance wise they are pretty much the same, I would drive both and see what you enjoy.
Old 07-17-2009 | 12:34 AM
ian89C4
Pro

From what little I have researched on the 964 C4's AWD system it is basically derrived from the 959's system (correct me if I am wrong) which is state of the art. It has LSD's and an early traction control sytem. It is a great car, and without an aggressive allignment it is great daily driver. I drove mine up to Maine from North Carolina 2 weeks after I purchased it. She did great, not a single issue. the choice is up to you, but I agree that both are great cars, with the C4 being better. I am a little biased however.

I do track the car, I have not put bilstein HD's and HR set-up on the car yet, however I do plan to, and it is still a fast car, even being as heavy as it is. Good luck, and hopefully welcome to the ranks soon.
Old 07-17-2009 | 01:24 AM
Oracle
Pro

I have never driven a C4 so I can't compare but one thing is sure: C4 has more moving parts and the central diff will wear (like anything else). They've been very solid but after 14+ years some have started to show issues..
I live in Canada and would never drive my C2 or C4 during winter, for that get a beater.. So my choice was a C2 and couldn't be happier.
Old 07-17-2009 | 09:36 AM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

oracle I have been on here for a while know and the only issue i have seen about a c4 was a wrongly installed front system clutch. Actually that was the firts thing about even maint on a c4 system. both are very reliable systems
Old 07-17-2009 | 01:58 PM
Oracle
Pro

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
both are very reliable systems
Reliable? Yes.
Will not ever break/wear/require maintenance No.

Search how many threads about accelerometers, remember it's a system not just the transmission.

I have nothing againt C4s I'm just trying to make a point that more moving parts have higher probability of failure, especially after 14+ years and many miles...
Old 07-17-2009 | 11:57 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

If you're only going to use the car for the road (not track) I wouldn't worry too much about C2 vs C4 - look at whatever 964s are for sale in your price range and get the one that's in the best shape and has the options that you would like. Good luck, everyone who drives a 964 falls in love!

Quick Reply: C2 vs C4