Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats - she looks like a beauty.

Marc
Old 07-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Congrats , you are over the biggest hurdle into 964 ownership. you will always
find some things after a PPI.missing a clutch is poor but if thats the biggest expense
you have done well overall. i assume you have researched the downsides of the LWF
so you probably wanted to go that route anyway ; enjoy
Old 07-15-2009, 12:25 PM
mojo747
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! Congrats!!
Old 07-15-2009, 01:13 PM
tommyz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jonny - yes, it was a tough call. I want the quicker revs of the LWF. I am not building a track car but this will not be a daily driver either so I am ok taking the chance to get the improved feel. That said, I am really counting on the SW chip to fix any stalling issues if I have them. I have talked to a few people with the LWF and the SW chip and talked to Steve himself and they all made me feel comfortable that this chip can solve the problem.

If I have any stalling issues I will be putting the chip in right away. If the stalling is tolerable or better I will still do the chip but wait a few months. The initial purchase and the work I am already doing is enough money spent for a few months. In then end I want to give this car every little bump I can, without crossing the line into building a full on track car.

And you are right. I have the same feeling that the clutch is minor compared to what could have been found. My local shop confirmed that the engine was "strong" and very dry for car with 100K miles. Just needs a few gaskets while the engine is out for the clutch. I am VERY relieved that nothing major was missed there in the PPI!!!
Old 07-15-2009, 01:37 PM
lmazzoli
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats on the purchase. Sorry it did not work out with the Targa. Enjoy.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:41 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Welcome to the club. You may think the grins and giggles will wear off, they do not.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:27 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Tommy, (I copied this over to your "new owner" thread in case you didn't catch my relpy in the other thread.... , anyway..)

Welcome!

I could not be happier about owning a 964. [yes]
I love everything about it. [yes]
It has the perfect combination of that older raw sports car feel and modern engineering and mechanics. [YES. It's just such a unique feeling, like no other car]
I look at it often. [YES]
I drive it several times a day for no other reason than to be driving. [Yes, it needs it!]
I sit in it at night [Yes! I won't pretend that this is totally normal behavior, but I'm sure you and I aren't the only ones...
Sorry to hear about your PPI fiasco. I remember the PPI stress very well. Now the car is in good hands. With the help of the forum, I'm doing more and more work on my car... and more and more mods . For the big stuff or to get a good local Post-Purchase-Inspection (to get a solid baseline) you should checkout the guys over at European Performance
European Performance

Jimmy, Tolga, Richard, etc. are all great to work with and they really know 964s!

Regarding your flywheel/clutch concern, I have only one experience engaging the LWF clutch. I tested the feel of a fellow RLer's car. It has a different feel, but look at Porsche pedals anyway! The fellow RLer had developed an unusually responsive clutch foot, very impressive in heavy traffic. You'll quickly get used to it, but I'd still get the Wong chip as insurance and for the improved engine tractability that comes with it.

Get things sorted on your car and try to make out to the cars & coffee at Briarcreek (70-540). The first Saturday of the month is a big production. Lots of cars, Porsche and otherwise.

Again, welcome!

Best,
Udo
Old 07-15-2009, 02:58 PM
tommyz
Intermediate

Udo - Hi. I will get out to Briar Creek for the next one. Do you go to the Apex get-together on Saturday's too?

And yes, Tolga has been working with me this week. He was great about going over the car in detail, listing all the things that needed to be done, and then helping me figure out which ones I could do myself! You don't get that from a dealer!! I see a long term relationship with those guys.

See you soon at one of the local spots.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:18 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Tommy,
Say hi to Tolga for me. He works the same way with me, really communicating with me about what needs to be done now or what can wait. Solid people. I had to laugh though... one day I asked him what special car he owns (it seems as though everyone has some special toy or two tucked away), he said he just owns a simple S-10 Chevy truck... he gets enough Porsche stuff at work? Smart man!

Last week was the first time I met the Wake Zone Coffee guys. Very nice guys and a quick drive is built into the event, which was a lot of fun. Briarcreek is just a walk around and look at everyone's car event. That said, I've seen a lot of great cars at Briarcreek, no group driving involved.

In the future I'll pick a first Saturday of the month to do both. A Wake Zone coffee hello, a nice drive with the group, and then cruise over to Briarcreek afterwards. The Italia guys show up much later anyways (10-11am), so you won't miss much at Briarcreek. Actually more cars will be there, and it would be great letting everyone hear our 964s rumble through the packed parking lot!

I'll be getting back that morning from a Cali trip (Aug. 1st), so I'm tempted in leaving the car at the airport so I can drop by cars & coffee on my way home. It's a red-eye flight, so I need coffee right?

Have you been to VIR yet?
Old 07-16-2009, 02:24 AM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful car! Congratulations! I have a red 94 cab. These cars are so much fun!
Old 07-16-2009, 02:30 AM
dynogyno
Instructor

purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty!

Quick Reply: Another New 964 Owner