Installing new oil return lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 10:58 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Installing new oil return lines

Greetings to all;

I noticed an oil leak coming from the right front fender and upon further evaluation determined I need to replace one of the oil return lines running from the oil cooler to the rear of the engine (long, expensive lines ).

Is this a 'do it yourself project' or am I getting in way over my head? If it's possible and recommended, where do I find information on how to proceed with this repair. I have referenced Adrian Streather's book on the 964, and a Haynes Repair Manual and neither have instructions on how to. Are there any special tools needed for this repair?

Thanks

Last edited by SAM DACOSTA; 07-13-2009 at 12:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-13-2009, 12:05 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Yes it is a DIY. I replaced both those lines and the oil cooler, you should too. Just get the correct size wrenches and maybe some crow foot wrenches for torques. Get the lines and cooler from Sunset in Oregon, about $300 each.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:18 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

I feel better knowing you have done it yourself. Therefore I will also perform the change out of lines but where do I get guidance (written instructions, manuals, something) as I've not seen it posted anywhere as yet (Pelican, Rennlist, etc.). I would feel better while undertaking the change out, if I ran into any unknown circumstances .

Also, the price you're quoting is much less than what I've been quoted. local Dealer wanted $457, Performance said they do not offer one for my year (1990) and Pelican does not list one on their website (or at least I cannot find it as yet). Is there a difference in hoses between the two; one being a supply line and the other a return oil line?

I've seen others mention going to a trucking company and have them manufacture one with the ends attached from the old lines. They say I can get a better line that way. I would prefer to just purchase a good oil line at a fair price.

Appreciate your assistance and support .
Old 07-13-2009, 04:49 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

It is fairly straight forward.
go here for parts lookup
http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...64_KATALOG.pdf

Remove the side panel coverings-illustration 810-05 and buy replacement parts for 3,5,6,7 and 22
watch for nuts, remove them before you pry off sills. You will break some of the plastic clips so replace them all.

Then illustration 801-50 to remove wheel liners.

Then illustration 104-05 buy replacement parts 1,2,42,20,21,23,5,33,8,3, 9,7,44,45 and while you are there 36.

Just remove nuts holding hose clamps and get correct size wrenches to hold the fittings (like 46) while you remove the hose ends. Pretty easy really. Take your time and be thorough.

Sunset 800.346.0182 Jeff

You can also go here
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214626

To check prices and order from Las Vegas dealer.

The original hoses have lasted 18 years, I'd buy Porsche again.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:00 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

"stevepaa" that's what I'm talking about...

Thanks a million for your guidance, patience and research associted with my questions. I now have the necessary information (and access to more) to tackle this project. Thanks also for the PDF Catalog, it will become useful as I proceed with other repairs.

I'll definitely stick with the original hoses from Porsche based on your estimated usage but I'll be checking for some cheaper dealerships in the process.

Quick Reply: Installing new oil return lines