Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car only winked when I flashed my brights (High beam bulb blown)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 02:44 PM
greenr
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car only winked when I flashed my brights (High beam bulb blown)

Looks like the passenger side high beam bulb is shot. How hard are these to replace? should I replace both bulbs while I am in there?

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

How hard? How does "extra easy" sound? Its a simple process of unscrewing one screw, rotating the light assembly out, remove and replace the bulb, then reinstall. Less than 5 minutes.

Should you replace both bulbs? No. Your hi/lo beams is in a single bulb. I'm assuming you have the standard US spec H5 lights.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:43 PM
greenr
Rennlist Member

I believe I do. Can I pick up the bulbs at my local store or do I need to order them? I hate to sound like a moron, but where is this single screw?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

You can pick up the bulbs at any local auto parts store. You need a replacement H5 aka 9004 halogen bulb. They will cost approx $8-10.

Just remove the single screw at the bottom of the headlight trim ring. Then remove the 3 (4?) screws holding the headlight assembly in the bucket -- careful these screws can be rusted and, if broken, can be a bugger. Once you have the headlight assembly out, unplug it from the car (one big keyed plug). Put the assembly lens down on your bench and pop off the spring tabs holding the bulb in place. Put in the new bulb (the H5's are single bulb with a dual filament) and put it all back together.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:25 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
You can pick up the bulbs at any local auto parts store. You need a replacement H5 aka 9004 halogen bulb. They will cost approx $8-10.

Just remove the single screw at the bottom of the headlight trim ring. Then remove the 3 (4?) screws holding the headlight assembly in the bucket -- careful these screws can be rusted and, if broken, can be a bugger. Once you have the headlight assembly out, unplug it from the car (one big keyed plug). Put the assembly lens down on your bench and pop off the spring tabs holding the bulb in place. Put in the new bulb (the H5's are single bulb with a dual filament) and put it all back together.
Hang on - that's not how I remove my headlight (and I only did it last week).

Remove the screw at the bottom of the healight trim ring - that allows you to remove the ring. But - that screw actually screws into another screw in the same place. Now remove that screw - and you can then pop the headlight assembly out. After that, follow the instructions above.

If you remove the headlight trim ring and then touch the other screws - you are adjusting your headlight aim, not removing the headlight.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:30 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Get a pair of Silverstar bulbs. The light is a lot better
Old 07-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

DaveK - Does your car have H4 or H5 assemblies? I suspect you have H4's. The US cars by default have H5's which have different assemblies. But maybe I'm wrong.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:03 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
DaveK - Does your car have H4 or H5 assemblies? I suspect you have H4's. The US cars by default have H5's which have different assemblies. But maybe I'm wrong.
Ah, ok - didn't know that. I'm shocked to find I've owned my car almost 8 years and couldn't change a headlight bulb!
Old 07-28-2009, 06:45 PM
greenr
Rennlist Member

So I finally got around to fixing this. It was relatively easy except for removing the adjustment/aiming screws on the first light. The second was a breeze. Thanks for the help!!

Quick Reply: Car only winked when I flashed my brights (High beam bulb blown)