Sponsored by:

Engine Fan noise - what is normal

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:28 AM
spdterence
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Fan noise - what is normal

Newby here. I did a bit of a search on this however didn't uncover the answer. My 964 has a noisy engine fan that seems to cut in when you you come to a stop at traffic lights for example. It will run for 5-10 sec max then stop. It only does it when the car is stationary. Is this normal? Terry
Old 07-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Are you sure its the engine fan? When you are at the stop light, try to blip the throttle while its making the noise. Does the noise volume or frequency change? If yes, they its likely to be the fan bearing.

I'm wondering if maybe you are hearing the spoiler retracting. The bearings in the spoiler erection mechanism have a tendency to fail over time and they become quite noisy.

Edit:

Fan bearing replacement procedure = https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-fan-help.html

Spoiler bearing replacement = https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...placement.html
Old 07-07-2009, 08:18 AM
gchristofi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps we're talking about the engine blower fan (electric one) as opposed to the belt driven engine fan? The other source of noise can be that alternator fan sensor. The roller can be noisy and a quick spray of wd40 can sort that out.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:20 AM
spdterence
AutoX

Hi Rob, I think perhaps I am using the wrong term. It is not the main engine fan - but an electric thermostatic fan that cuts in and out. I was told that the heater fan bearing outer had been replaced however this noise is still the same. The fan speed is pretty fast so I would expect some wind noise from this anyhow but it does seem noisy to me - Any thoughts as to what it might be? Terry
Old 07-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Oh, the electric fan. I see. Do you have access to a Hammer or Scantool? You can manually engage the power to it with the engine off and listen to it. These fans have a tendency to wear out over time. The fix is to either replace them entirely or if you are more adventurous, to replace the electric motor itself.

Removing and reinstalling from the engine bay is very simple. The motor is held in by two 6mm (10mm head) bolts. Once unscrewed and you unplug the wire connector, it will pull out.

Replacing the electric motor = https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...wer-motor.html
Old 07-11-2009, 08:44 AM
spdterence
AutoX

Thanks Rob- that's exactly what it is. Thanks for the pointers.
I will get to and sort it out. Cheers. Terry

Quick Reply: Engine Fan noise - what is normal