964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Did you do a full evacuate??? Whats the procedure??? i heard that it will clog the expansion valve if you use the Denatured alcohol to flush the system?? did you have that done???

Thanks
Old 07-04-2009, 02:11 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Strega(UK)
I used the original expansion valve as it looked like ok to me, are these things prone to failure? Are there any outward signs of a malfunctioning valve?
There was no sign of failure of the expansion valve, in fact it was working, just not very well. Its a cheap part to replace but labor intensive.

Originally Posted by PelicanParts
After the hot refrigerant gas is condensed into liquid by the condenser, it gets sent to the expansion valve. The expansion valve is used to bleed off the pressure from the hot refrigerant liquid. When the pressure drops, the result is that the refrigerant cools to the point where it can now enter the evaporator and complete the process of getting cold air in your car on a hot day. If you have trouble keeping the A/C temperature cold, and there is plenty of refrigerant in the system, it may be possible that the expansion valve is damaged or faulty.
Would you expect this valve to operate properly after nearly 20 yrs in our cars?

Quick Reply: A/C trouble