Sponsored by:

Monday Morning

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:40 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monday Morning

So we had our Porsche club backroad touring Saturday. I changed my coils Friday night; only took me about 1 hr to do the whole thing, including removing the blower motor. Started the car up, and no difference in my idle.

During our driving, the car would dog big time in first or second during WOT, but would not dog at all if I gracefully accellerated. Going uphill WOT was painfully slow too. I think the key here is the WOT. I do need to look into my O2 sensor- as I have the check engine light continuously. Scantool says emission sensor.

Yesterday I took a few pictures; my daughter's 3yr old pics, and my BIL's son's newborn pics.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Hawk - Great photos (as always)

I had a great weekend. Saturday my friends and I worked on my deck. We worked from 8am to 7:30pm. It was a long but productive day. We have the stairs, railing posts and 90% of the decking installed. I need to trim the end of the joists by about an inch so that I can end the deck on a full board width. I will finish the decking and install the railings this coming weekend.

Sunday, my GF and I took her parents to Mount Sunapee ski resort. The local Lion's club was having charity classic car show. There were lots of interesting cars there. Some of my favorites were the 8 Corvairs including a Lakewood wagon. I didn't know GM made a wagon Corvair. The other favorite was a 1930 REO sedan. It was gorgeous. There were two Porsches represented, a '72 Targa and a '73 914 1.8.

Sample of the 1930 REO (I had forgotten my camera. Doh)
Old 06-29-2009, 11:09 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Great pics, your daughter has a look my 4 year old son gives all the time, the "I think I know more than you".

As far as the car, How old is the fuel filter? Any codes? Have you pulled the cover off the afm? Did it start all of a sudden, or gradually? Hot, cold or both? Trying to guess at any causes. Mine for some reason has decided to hesitate when warm, under acceleration, but will not have time to look into it before vacation, so it will have to wait.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:10 AM
NineEleven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That BW is simply sweeet! Would make a great framed up pic.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Chimera
Rennlist Member

My wife and I went for a little Sunday drive -- 160+ miles!

Doc
Old 06-29-2009, 11:32 AM
hawk911
Race Car

The fuel filter is only 1 yr old; changed it before parade last year. I have not had the AFM off in prolly that long too. The only code last year was the O2, which I lost on the way down to parade. Glad to have the scantool, as we were just 3-4 hrs into the trip when it threw the code. I'll scan it again soon; got George Strait concert tickets tonight.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:47 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I rode around on my tractor mowing yesterday to see if I could shake any more blood clots lose. No luck
Took my first drive in the car in almost 2 weeks last night when the temp finally got below 90 degrees and 100% humidity
Old 06-29-2009, 11:52 AM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

A couple of my friends are considering a 911, probably a 3.2. So I offer them a drive/ride in the 964. At about the same time I am saying ‘Sure it is reasonably reliable, sure you can take her out this weekend’ the brake booster self destructs.

I am not sure Porsche reliability is making a sale in this case.

Great baby pics.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:55 AM
hawk911
Race Car

so does any 3-wire oxygen sensor work? I see autozone carries one for the Porsche.....
Old 06-29-2009, 01:48 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk911
so does any 3-wire oxygen sensor work? I see autozone carries one for the Porsche.....
there could be a problem with water getting into the aftermarket ones. There have been a few post on that a couple years or so ago.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:52 PM
hawk911
Race Car

i wonder if that happened to this one; it was replaced 3 yrs ago, and failed last year.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:31 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Some of my favorites were the 8 Corvairs including a Lakewood wagon. I didn't know GM made a wagon Corvair.
I had heard this, and I want to verify, but GM was planning to use the rear-engine air-cooled platform for many of their cars, and the Corvair was the pilot program.... How different would GM be if they had gone that way with a full commitment...?
Old 06-29-2009, 03:08 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tbennett017
I had heard this, and I want to verify, but GM was planning to use the rear-engine air-cooled platform for many of their cars, and the Corvair was the pilot program.... How different would GM be if they had gone that way with a full commitment...?
Back in my former life (well, a few lives ago...), I was known as "The Oil Spot Kid" (my handle on CB radio). I owned a total of 13 Corvairs, including a couple of turbos (which surprised many Mustang and a few Porsche drivers back in it's day) and a Yenko Stinger (YS066). The current owner of my Yenko Stinger popped up out of the blue recently and discussed selling the car back to me. It is now all set up for historic racing, and would be an absolute blast of nostalgia for me to own and drive again. It is only a question of time and money. The good part is, the wife didn't say "No".
Corvairs were my "introduction" to Porsches. I just never thought I would actually own and drive an actual German Porsche, not just an "American Porsche". You guys think your P-cars like to leak oil, try an old Corvair some time. They did not have heat exchangers. The cooling air from the engine was used directly for cabin heating. Leaking oil return tubes would drip oil directly onto hot exhaust manifolds (and we won't discuss the implications of leaking exhaust manifolds...) sending clouds of smoke directly into the interior of the car. I had to drive with the windows down when I turned on the heat. (BTW, viton seals fixed most of this, and once I could afford it none of my Corvairs leaked oil)
Thanks for the dose of nostalgia, guys.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:17 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh, and I changed my oil (BP 20w50) and motor mounts (a pair of mounts from a 996) on Sunday. I also checked the A/C freon charge - thought it was over-filled due to high pressure reading. Turns out the gauge was bad, and I am actually low on charge. One thing I noted was the large amount of oil that came out when connecting/disconnecting the hose - I had never noticed that before on other cars. I wonder if the system has been over-charged with oil at some time in maintenance? I also noted that apparently the resistor needs to be replaced on the AC condenser fan, as it only operates in high-speed.
Does anyone know if our AC systems include a sight glass near the dryer that you can look for the amount of bubbles in the liquid side? I always used that as my primary criteria for proper freon charge on other cars. I suppose I can pull off the fender liner and check for myself.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

The wagon really caught my eye. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera. I did a quick search and found a video of a Corvair wagon.

Quick Reply: Monday Morning