Sponsored by:

Need Advice on PPI Results

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:00 PM
tommyz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueHeeler
... these cars are quite enjoyable to work on especially because of the support from the Rennlist pros.
Even this newbie I can +100 that statement. Thanks everyone!

The latest update is that they added a bad fuel pump (car started stalling when the seller picked it up) and a leaky oil cooler to the list. Seller is going to cover the fuel pump and the problem is guaranteed to be fixed before any sale takes place. I will have to cover the leaky oil cooler but the price is going to be adjusted for the worst case scenario. We are negotiating a price now that should take all the other items into account too. If we agree on a price, I will do the compression and leak down. No reason to spend the $ on those unless we reach a price agreement. Those two tests will be all or nothing for me.

Stay tuned...
Old 06-11-2009, 01:50 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It is very exciting to buy a new car, especially a Porsche but the wrong one can quickly turn into a joy-sucking money pit.

I'd ask the shop a few more questions....

[*]Oil Cooler leak – small but needs repair
cooler itself or a pipe leading to it?
coolers are not cheap and neither are the pipes leading to or from it
changing an oil pipe can be a bugger

[*]Chain Covers have a minor leak
easy fix, easier with the engine out but can be done engine lowered

[*]Rocker Arm Shafts have a minor leak
does not sound serious

[*]Valve Adjustment needed
an easy DIY

[*]Front Brakes needed
pads? rotors? caliper sticking - rebuild or replace?
inspect the brake lines at the same time

[*]Alignment needed
not a DIY but not expensive if you skip the corner balance

[*]Steering Rack Boots torn
cheap and pretty easy to fix but is the rack okay or have the boots been torn for a while?

[*]Top Latching Mechanism and possibly Control Unit need replacing
I can't comment on cab tops as I don't know but I've heard parts are pricey

[*]Passenger Window switch does not work
2 minutes to replace or 30 minutes to fix the switch (a DIY thread is here somewhere)

[*]Drivers swing window hinge/mount broken
huh?

[*]Rear Boot needs Shocks and insulation
shocks are inexpensive and easy but fiddly to replace
insulation usually drops but does not need replacement if it does
it is easy to replace the insulation when the engine is out

[*]Front Boot Needs Shocks
front shocks are really easy (someone posted an excellent DIY here somewhere).

[*]Rear Tires needed soon
prices vary but decent track tires don't have to be expensive

GL and post pictures if/when you buy.

Marc
Old 06-11-2009, 05:07 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

tommy,
Are the guys at European Performance handling the PPI? They are very familiar with 964s. They sloved my "Christmas tree" problem. All the guys are great to work with. Jimmy, the shop owner is very easy to talk to and the shop has all of the latest tools and equip. It looks like a F1 workcenter, so clean. Plus while you're there you can checkout the cars at Motorcar Investments. You probably know all of this already, but if any other potential owners are reading this post and thinking of buying their first Porsche, this is the place to start and get to know these guys.

http://www.europeanperformance.net/

As I get up to speed on all the mechanical bits of my car, I hope to be able to pull by own weight (instead of just writting checks). RENNLIST + Eruo. Perf. = ownership for me.

Udo

Last edited by 911Jetta; 06-11-2009 at 05:08 AM. Reason: text
Old 06-11-2009, 09:49 AM
tommyz
Intermediate

Marc - Thanks for the details and the encouragment. I am feeling more and more confident that I can handle a lot of this stuff. That makes a big difference for me since the total quote from the PPI shop is UP there. DIY here rocks!!! I hope to be able to contribute one day. I used to do all the valve adjustments on my MG. There was nothing to it but for some reason I was thinking that on this car I would have to take it to the shop. Hearing you say it is easy makes me think I will give it a shot. I really want to do a lot of my own work.

Udo - The car is out of state but I will be taking it to Euro Perf once I get it here. I get all my Passat work done by Paul at Black Forest Industries (that guy is awesome!!) and he has to send me to Euro Perf for alignments. I have not really spent any time talking to them. Who wants to talk about a 2000 Passat. LOL But I hope to spend some more time up there when I get into a 964.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:51 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I did not see an asking price or agreed upon purchase price, but you are looking at $3000 to $4000 expenses -especially if things are buggered with the top. If you are like me you will be replacing plug wires, plugs, caps & rotors, brake rotors & pads, all belts & fluids and you state new shocks & tires - it will add up fast. Then add the rollbar, sports seats, harness and safety equipment and you see where this is going. That said - if it has a tan interior - I might have some GT3 (OEM) seats and a 993 cab rollbar available. Won't know until I get another car (either an 993 SC'ed Targa or 993 Cab) and see the interior color (right now the two main contenders have a grey interior). I do have some Mahle oil & air filters, a K&N air filter, a drilled out air box, Shubert Primary Bypass, OEM exhaust system, Targa harness bar and some other 964 stuff getting dusty in the garage if interested. If I get the targa then I may have a spare set of Targa Speedlines with P-Zero Rosso's and god only knows what else - my garage scares me sometimes. LOL!
Old 06-11-2009, 04:14 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

tommy,
Thanks for the BFI heads up, I think I'll stop by some time. My wife has a Jetta with 100k plus miles, needs suspension really bad... then I can get mine upgraded

For everyone else, checkout this shirt on their site: http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/yhst-1918367471896_2055_2359183

Hope to see you at a Kars and Koffee in a couple weeks!
Udo
Old 06-11-2009, 06:50 PM
tommyz
Intermediate

Hopefully this is my last update before I post some pics of my new car. The price is set and it gives me the room I need to make the repairs. All that is left is compression / leak down and nobody is expecting any surprises there. Knock on wood.

Thanks again to everyone for your advice! I'll post some of the details of his asking price, repair estimates, and something about where we finally landed after we close the deal, if it is of interest to anyone. I never really liked to talk about what I spend on cars and stuff but if it helps the next person in my place then I am happy to do it.

I'm gonna own a 9-6-4! I'm gonna own a 9-6-4! I'm gonna own a 9-6-4! I'm gonna own a 9-6-4!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:52 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tommyz
I'm gonna own a 9-6-4! I'm gonna own a 9-6-4! I'm gonna own a 9-6-4! I'm gonna own a 9-6-4!

Good luck! My car still gives me that feeling everytime I drive it. Enjoy, we expect pictures, and feel free to ask questions. We all have.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:05 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Yes, the 964 permagrin is going to have to be surgically removed. Hazard of owning the car.

I still have surreal moments of, “WTF?!?! THAT is my car! I hope I do not wake up.”
Old 06-11-2009, 10:28 PM
92silver964
Racer

Originally Posted by hawk911
if you want to DE, then look into the rules. For us around here, you MUST have a roll bar/cage if you have a CAB; no way around it.
Does that DE limitation typically exist for a Targa because of its pseudo roll bar? I bought a Targa because I had to have a convertible, but I felt more secure in it than I would in a Cab.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

... I never really liked to talk about what I spend on cars and stuff but if it helps the next person in my place then I am happy to do it....
You can post details here if you feel comfortable doing so (adding to the database) but it is not required.....as long as you post pics.

Hey, forget the pics and you are an outcast.

Marc
Old 06-11-2009, 11:32 PM
tommyz
Intermediate

Ok. So here is the bad news. The seller and I are both traveling over the next two weeks. It looks like it could be the 25th or even July 1st before I can get the car!! I am a pretty superstitious person so I can't post pics until I get the title. I would hate to post pics and then have to post a retraction. But I promise that I will post them the minute the car hits my driveway. ...Well maybe I will stare at it for a few hours before I come inside to post. But I guess it takes all 964 owners a little while to get from the car to the house.

Silver - I think that each track is different. Here in NC I have heard the there is a track near Charlotte that even has a beginner's DE event where you can get by in a Cab without a roll bar. I am not sure how true that is. I could be completely wrong about this. I know that I would never do it, so I never looked into it. I did look into VIR and a Targa was ok without the rollbar at least for the entry level stuff I was interested in. I actually came VERY close to getting a Targa and for a long time I was only looking at Targas for that reason.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:48 AM
92silver964
Racer

Silver - I think that each track is different. Here in NC I have heard the there is a track near Charlotte that even has a beginner's DE event where you can get by in a Cab without a roll bar. I am not sure how true that is. I could be completely wrong about this. I know that I would never do it, so I never looked into it. I did look into VIR and a Targa was ok without the rollbar at least for the entry level stuff I was interested in. I actually came VERY close to getting a Targa and for a long time I was only looking at Targas for that reason.
I looked on my PCA chapter site (Potomac - Wash DC area) and here's what they say about cab's in DE.

The following rules apply to driving a Cabriolet (cab) or a Boxster on track:
1) At all tracks EXCEPT VIR, the 996/997 pop-up roll bar and the Boxster integral roll hoops are considered acceptable, subject to the 2-inch rule (see below). An extender manufactured by Brey-Krause is available for the Boxster if additional bar height is required.
2) At VIR ONLY, the 996/997 cabriolet pop-up roll bar is NOT considered acceptable. Cabs require a roll bar that meets club race specs.
3) At VIR ONLY, the Boxster roll hoops alone are NOT considered acceptable. The Brey-Krause extender MUST be attached and the driver must meet the 2-inch rule.
The 2-inch rule: With the driver strapped into the seat, the top of the driver's helmet must be 2 inches below a line drawn between the top of the windshield and the top of the roll bar.

The way I read this you can't drive in a DE event with a 964 Cab. Maybe the reference you heard to allowing a Cab is for the 996 model and later? Not sure if I've seen a 964 Cab with a roll bar. My two cents is that when I'm in my Targa with the top down, it feels completely like a convertible to me, which is why I got it. Good luck!
Old 06-13-2009, 10:46 AM
madmoog
Racer

Tommy, I hope that the leakdown and compression come back good for you, they are essential!

I thought the one I was buying was ok, so did the PO and I'd been out on track in it and it went beautifully. Imagine everyone's astonishment when No 6 cyl came back with 60% loss We were both disheartened and had to take stock, we agreed that the PO would have the repairs done at his cost......

I still wonder out to the garage and look in and think f*ck, that's mine

Quick Reply: Need Advice on PPI Results