Sponsored by:

Garage -- Carpet vs Concrete

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 01:53 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Garage -- Carpet vs Concrete

I have concrete floors in my barn. They are a bit rough and definitely contribute to moisture and rust.

Question, would it be an improvement to cover them with low-pile carpet? Or, would it make matters worse?

I'm considering whether to put the carpet out to the trash, or under the car.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:16 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have never carpeted a garage, but have epoxy painted all my garages. First thing I have done before I moved into my last thre houses. Makes a huge difference
Old 05-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

It depends on where the moisture is coming from. If its coming through the cement, then the carpet temporarily reduce the moisture until its reaches its limit (similar to a dry sponge becoming moist) and then the moisture would continue into the air. I think you would be better off using some sort of concrete paint or water sealent. I have an epoxy coated concrete floor and its wonderful. A friend had a damp basement and purchased water sealer and painted his entire walls and floor. It made a noticeable difference in the humidity. Not sure if your barn is air tight enough that this technique would do that same thing.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:14 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I would never put carpet in a garage, just think of how it would soak up any spill that WILL happen, I can think of oil changes etc...... also any little screw/washer/pin/spring that you WILL drop, disappears magiclly into that low pile carpet. I would paint it with a good garage floor paint, there are many brands on the market.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

If i used a barn i would treat the floor as above but also do anything possible to keep
rodents out. They can chew through wiring etc and cause havoc !! Happened to a friends 996
turbo & cost thousands $
Old 05-30-2009, 08:31 PM
jjbunn
Racer

I have scraps of old carpet on my garage floor: I find it makes working around the car more comfortable e.g. for kneeling.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:47 PM
ian89C4
Pro

My wife and I just purchased a house in North carolina and we are sealing the garage floor with Byer appoxy sealant. For a two car garage, with everything needed to paint it, cost around $75 from home depot, not too bad for the look and durability it provides.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:14 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I have used the Home Depot floor paint and it is OK. On my new home I used Benjamin Moore Industrial Floor Epoxy after seeing it in a warehouse with heavy fork lift traffic. That stuff is great - high gloss and nearly indestructable. Not cheap, but worth it.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:25 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to use indoor/outdoor carpeting under my car to catch the oil drips. You can usually go to lowes and buy the remnant for cheap.
Now that my car no longer drips (for the moment), I use the rest of the roll as needed to get under cars.

It has a rubber backing, but I do not think it will be water tight. You would be better of sealing the concrete.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:22 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar decision - though was initially looking at epoxy or industrial tile for the garage. I chose epoxy, and have enjoyed it almost maintenance free for the last 6 summers...

-Blake

Quick Reply: Garage -- Carpet vs Concrete