Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange engine noises...what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Low 964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange engine noises...what do you think?

Typical Le mans only a week away and the cars started making odd noises today, not used it for a few weeks.

Engine noise...the fan sounds like church bells in the distance when spinning...not all the time, mainly when starting...

Major rattle underneath passenger side, infront of engine tray ...UK car

Also bit of smoke now out of exhaust when warm and blip throttle...90k miles though, dont think its had work on it.

Must be due for rebuild and Motec.....
Old 05-29-2009, 08:47 PM
CraigC
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like your alternator bearing, or dual speed bearing. I had the same problem just after I bought my car. I replaced the dual speed bearing and alternator at about 70M miles. There are many threads on this issue, I would be careful about driving it until fixed, there have been broken fans due to the fan blades hitting the shroud. Here are a couple of links . https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=14871
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=14871
Old 05-29-2009, 09:53 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

+1 on the fan bearing, you may see some scarring on the inside of the fan housing where the fan is rubbing, a sure sign of a worn out bearing, also check that the pulley and clamp band is tight...
Old 05-30-2009, 04:42 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fan bearing happened to me on a 'Ring trip - sounded just like that. The blades started to j-u-s-t tickle the housing, my fan is painted red and the giveaway was a red smear building up on the inside of the housing. You'll have to get it fixed quick smart.

Quick Reply: Strange engine noises...what do you think?