Sponsored by:

Monday on Tuesday?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:43 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monday on Tuesday?

Okay, so it's Tuesday but I was busy yesterday. So on Saturday, I washed all 3 cars, and the Porsche got a coat of wax too. It was humid, so it took forever for the Macguiars NXT to dry to a level I could work with it. Had to speedshine a few areas to get the wax to cooperate. The car looked great. I'm noticing a bit of yellowing on the rear wheels though, on the center part of my 2-piece wheels. Might have to have the centers painted black and go with a silver lip.

took the car out that night for a drive to a local burger joint. They host a car show every Saturday night; mainly muscle there with the occasional tuner or import. Passed a Testarossa on the way there, so he might have been at the joint for a while.

So what about you- anything special this weekend?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:04 AM
968rz
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you go to Gorge's in Oak Creek or the new one in Racine?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:07 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

ticket.
yesterday.
1st (ever) in a 911.
60 in a 45. ($77)
Accelerating toward the (highway) on-ramp.

I broke one of my own rules on speeding & locales. Stupid.

But in other news, the gf & I went to VIR to watch club DE'ing.
She was enthused by what she saw.
(I think I'll keep her.)
Old 05-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I had a great weekend. Went to a wedding on Saturday. Sunday was "playing" in the garage. My buddy & I replaced a worn shift bushing. I'm very pleased, the notchiness in the shifter is gone. Meanwhile, I changed the oil, checked the tires and brake pads. I had spent 3 days at a DE last week and wanted to see how the tires and pads fared. The tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 2) are about 50% worn and the same with the pads (Pagid Blue). On the cab, we were able to fix some broken interior clips on the front headliner. Both cars are in good shape. Maybe next weekend, I'll have time to wash and wax them.

Note to self, buy a bigger oil drain pan. The one I had almost overflowed, when I drained the oil tank. I also have to remember to drain the engine case too before beginning to add fresh oil. Doh! Luckily, I only wasted 1 quart.

Sunday night was a BBQ with friends at my house (yum steak tips & corn on the cob). Monday was a day of relaxing.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:13 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Rick, we did the Oak Creek one. I'm not sure if they are allowed to park that many cars in Racine's store. Kohls is right there and might pitch a fit.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:26 AM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Did a 2 day DE at Buttonwillow. I think that the CV is about to let go on me. A slight noise on right turns, after 6 sessions turned into a jackhammering upon right turns.

I will be taking the rear end apart over the next couple of weeks.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:32 AM
hawk911
Race Car

I'm anxious to hear how Darrell did at Road America. He and a few others were up there for the Chicago DE weekend.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:49 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by sundog
Did a 2 day DE at Buttonwillow. I think that the CV is about to let go on me. A slight noise on right turns, after 6 sessions turned into a jackhammering upon right turns.

I will be taking the rear end apart over the next couple of weeks.
That's why I love Nascar - no right turns to mess up your ceevees

My weekend was interesting - I have new wheels and working on a different color scheme on the car. More subtle and... mature

Other than that, my wife and I entertained guests one night, went hiking, swimming in a lake, and relaxed on the hammock under a big pine tree. The weather was gorgeous!
Old 05-26-2009, 12:11 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Sat, took the car off of the trailer after sitting there for a week following my DE @ Pocono. Washed out the mud from my cross-country spin! Changed pads and wheels from track to street trim.

Sunday morning, noticed that the paintwork felt like sandpaper! Tried a detailing spray, and with a LOT of rubbing, got a patch smooth. The cloth was an orangy-yellow! Tree pollen!!!!!!!!! Spent the rest of the morn claying the whole car, now the paint is as smooth as a baby's a$$.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:54 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went for a jog Saturday morning with the dog. When we got home my neighbor who is a dead ringer for Gwyneth Paltrow was drooling over the car and asking questions. Apparently the car is ‘sooo cute’ she would pay money just to have the life experience of driving a 911. Who am I to deny life experiences?

Changed the pcar oil over to Brad Penn. It took longer to clean up the spilled oil than it did to change the oil. Had an impromptu party Saturday evening.

After an overall awesome weekend, last night at ~3am during heavy rain, my house decided to flood.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:36 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Relaxing weekend. Family BBQ.

Bled the accumulator and lock block (not done with last flush) as I was seeing long pump times on start up (50-60 secs). I got white foam from the accumulator! I guess that cheap fluid I used last round didn't hold up; couldn't've been my process! :-)

Of course, when I went to do the final top-up of the fluid I noticed that I had let it get too low

Now the brake pedal is soft. Looks like there's another flush in my near future. . . . maybe it was my process!
Old 05-26-2009, 02:01 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I went to the Chicago PCA DE at Road America (RADE) I had SOMUCHFUKINGFUN. Friday for Novices to the track with their instructors. Brake pedal felt "different" after some hot laps, so bled the system again - much better. Got my Solo sticker by the end of the day. Saturday - Wuhooo - not sure what else to say. Rain for the third session. Wuhoooo, again. First time on a wet track. Picked up speed on every lap, until finally back to running pedal to the floor again on the front straight and going down to turn 5. Amazing. Found the braking limits. Got sideways a few times, but the C4 treated me right. I had to replace the front pads after the first session on Sunday - so installed a set of Pagid Orange. Wow, I found a lot more braking, and thus found more speed going into every corner. Had fun playing along with some other 964's (white one with 3.8RS tail, black C2, ...). I mounted my camera for some videos for the last 2 sessions - I have to figure out how to edit the .mov files. I also mounted my hiking GPS and let it generate tracks of my laps. Not quite a Traqumate, but pretty cool to see my speeds mapped out in segments. Interesting that I was carrying as much speed going down into turn 5 (125+) as I was going into turn 1 (130).
This was my first time using Recaro Pole Positions with 3-pt harness. Wuhooo. What a difference. The car ran great. And the sound - cat bypass/primary bypass/cup air box - Wuhooo. The favorite was probably the downshifts 4-3-2 under heavy braking into turn 5, full power in 2nd just after the apex, track out, up to redline and into 3rd well before the top of the hill, almost always gaining on the car in front. I think the awd had something to do with that. And did I mention the sound? Wuhooo
Also, 27mpg on the 6+ hr trip from Indy to Elkhart Lake. Only 25mpg on the way home. Tired as heck on Monday - adrenaline withdrawl.
Yeah, no one can stand to be around me at work today. There is still some adrenaline dripping onto the keyboard.
Some pics here the full event here

Who else was there? I wish I had made some Rennlist contacts before I left home. I tried to hook up with Hawk on the trip up, but we were trying to avoid MKE rush hour.

Wuhoooo
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Spent the weekend building a wooden swingset for my 5 year old. No p-car work.

Marc
Old 05-26-2009, 02:49 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Drove the new to me car to visit friends in NJ from NY. Love this car. no rain until Sunday night and luckily my friends have an extra garage spot so pulled her in to avoid the heavy winds and rain. Still have to wash her up good, but she performed lovely.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Scotty964cab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a whole lotta life goin' on. The weekend turned out fine. Lot's of water stuff, boating, sculling, family and food. The kid's showed up, all of them, what a surprise. The CAB is rolling, whenever I want it, all systems go! As it relates to Porsche, there's a small tranny leak that I created when I was removing a hanger for the bottom engine cover. I backed out two bolts to get to the hanger and fliuid started to run, so I quickly tightened everything again. Now I have small leak. I'm getting ready to change the fluid and replace the gasket to stop the leak.

Last edited by Scotty964cab; 05-26-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Monday on Tuesday?