Door strike adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 08:35 AM
hans57
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door strike adjustment

All,

I need to adjust my drivers door strike just a bit to tighten it up. Where on earth can I get a wrench for this? Does anyone have an extra one laying around I can buy? I will most likely only need it the one time so I would hate to spend big Porsche bucks on it for it to lay in my tool box after I use it.

Thanks!

'91 C2 Cab 52K miles. Completely stock.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:06 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I borrowed one from a local workshop when I needed one.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:05 PM
james944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can usually find a set at your local auto parts store. But, if you'd like to start your Porsche tool collection, Hazet and Snap-on make them and they're really not too much money. They're called XZN or triple square drivers. Off the top of my head I think you need a 10 mm, but it could be an 8 mm.

You probably know this, but line the pointers on the striker plate up with the bumps molded into the sheet metal and see how the door sits... You may need to do some fine adjustment, but that's generally the correct place. Also, it may take more effort to close the door since the rubber seals will be compressed a little more than they were before.

Hope this helps,
James
Old 05-25-2009, 02:06 PM
mr pg
Racer

You can just about get away with an allen key or torx driver.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:17 PM
HardTarget
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mr pg
You can just about get away with an allen key or torx driver.
Yup. What I used. If I am thinking of the same piece you're trying to adjust
Old 05-25-2009, 02:53 PM
james944
Instructor

No offense, I know you guys are just trying to help... But, just buy the triple square bit up front. It will be about the same price as a bolt extracting kit... And it's a lot easier to use.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:20 PM
hans57
Instructor

Originally Posted by james944
You can usually find a set at your local auto parts store. But, if you'd like to start your Porsche tool collection, Hazet and Snap-on make them and they're really not too much money. They're called XZN or triple square drivers. Off the top of my head I think you need a 10 mm, but it could be an 8 mm.

You probably know this, but line the pointers on the striker plate up with the bumps molded into the sheet metal and see how the door sits... You may need to do some fine adjustment, but that's generally the correct place. Also, it may take more effort to close the door since the rubber seals will be compressed a little more than they were before.

Hope this helps,
James
Big help, thank you. I will check out the auto parts stores around me. I looked at trying the other ideas mentioned and just did not feel comfortable with the fit. Right tool for the job is my motto....

Currently my striker plate sits a bit outside the dimple so that points to the looseness too. The other side is fine, and feels tight.

Quick Reply: Door strike adjustment